Red maple health

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
963590C8-2A10-424D-999D-F295BE913141.jpeg 4D3E8024-8D47-46BB-BF54-C593897E176B.jpeg 687758A0-D9FC-49EF-AB75-CAC0D9A68B2D.jpeg wanted to get some thoughts on the health of this red maple tree I have in the back. I’ve been thinking about cutting for firewood sometime soon due to in 4 or 5 yrs I think it would be a hazard and wound need pro removal. I noticed some bark off the tree at about 5 feet up. I then was easily able to take a bunch more off and i could see a good amount of insect activity. Tree is double trunked, each trunk about 16” diameter. The wood under bark feels solid.

View attachment 243521 View attachment 243522 View attachment 243523 wanted to get some thoughts on the health of this red maple tree I have in the back. I’ve been thinking about cutting for firewood sometime soon due to in 4 or 5 yrs I think it would be a hazard and wound need pro removal. I noticed some bark off the tree at about 5 feet up. I then was easily able to take a bunch more off and i could see a good amount of insect activity. Tree is double trunked, each trunk about 16” diameter. The wood under bark feels solid.
I've had some like that back in the woods I left up, I had a two of them that mother nature snapped off at the weak point where the ants were and some that are still up. I usually stay away from felling them if my gut tells me to stay away.

I have the same issue with a batch of Maples, shedding it's lower bark.

Whack 'em and stack 'em

Best thing to do with red maple clumps is leave the best one of the clump and cut the rest. The key thing is not to cut into the bark of the one you are leaving. If possible do not leave a hole where water and other crap can build up between the good tree and the one you have cut as that can freeze in the winter and stress the good stem. I usually cut high to get the waste trees out of the way and then carefully go back and cut down lower from the outside in once the weight is off. I also cut so I leave the stump angled away from the good stem. If the cut stem was rotten in the middle I usually tun my saw vertical to try to drain any water away from the rot.

It takes a while but the remaining stem will start growing faster and usually healthier. I also so this anytime I have different species growing up touching each other. The choice is two marginal trees that eventually die or one good one.

My property had lots of red maple clumps when I bought it and 25 years later I now have some nice straight trees after pruning.

If you wait too long sometimes rot in one stem will eventually take out the healthier stem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knots
Kinda looks like powderpost beetle exit holes.
They seem to like red maple and get into them when the bark is no longer alive and can protect the tree from them.

Red maple is decent firewood. Go for it.

Take them down now. Once the rot starts it will spread like a cancer whether the rest is live or not. Once css it should dry relatively fast.

Once css it should dry relatively fast.
Yeah, and Red Maple burns longer than Silver. You can use some for kindling to kick off loads of more-dense woods that are harder to start.

Best thing to do with red maple clumps is leave the best one of the clump and cut the rest. The key thing is not to cut into the bark of the one you are leaving. If possible do not leave a hole where water and other crap can build up between the good tree and the one you have cut as that can freeze in the winter and stress the good stem. I usually cut high to get the waste trees out of the way and then carefully go back and cut down lower from the outside in once the weight is off. I also cut so I leave the stump angled away from the good stem. If the cut stem was rotten in the middle I usually tun my saw vertical to try to drain any water away from the rot.

It takes a while but the remaining stem will start growing faster and usually healthier. I also so this anytime I have different species growing up touching each other. The choice is two marginal trees that eventually die or one good one.

My property had lots of red maple clumps when I bought it and 25 years later I have some nice straight trees.

If you wait too long sometimes rot in one stem will eventually take out the healthier stem.

This.

I'd take out the one with rot and try to let the other get fatter.