Red Maple- indoors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
I brought back some Silver Maple seed pods from Neb., they didn't make it. But the Red Maple pods my mother brought me are doing fine. In fact, one got big enough I was able to transplant it, and another will make it until warmer weather. Those are outside. I also have 4 that I kept inside, and was sure they were toast after the new, shelter cat stripped them down to a twig in the pot. But they all have leaves on them now. Small ones to be sure, but they're gonna make it also.(I'm watching, have a cat Taser on order.) So when things thaw out a bit, when should I transplant them, to reduce as much stress on them as possible? And can they take an area with plenty of moisture, but limited sun? Thanks, JB

If you're talking Acer Rubrum then, yea, it should do well in that area. Around here some folk call them swamp maple cuz that's where they grow. They also have bright red foliage in the fall.

I would keep them in pots until all danger of frost is past, them plant them outdoors.

Think they'd make it if I planted them near a creek, but smack dab in the middle of an Aspen grove. I'd rather drop a few Aspen to make room for them, than plant 'em on a hillside or somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.