Red oak fungus?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walkinghead

Jan 15, 2013
Lumpkin, GA
image.jpg A tornado blew down an old red oak last month and I have been preparing it for use in my various wood burning stoves and fireplaces. I was amazed at how health the tree appeared to be with no internal or external damage or blight, at least in the large limbs. When I finally started cutting the rounds from the primary 30" trunk I found a fungus throughout the wood once I split the round. See the photo.
What is this and what is the best way to try and salvage the wood? I have a covered wood crib with good ventillation. Could this harm the other stored wood?

I've cut alot of red oak and never seen that. Looks more like corned beef than wood ! I have found some strange things in other species, but just stacked it with everything else. I believe that when exposed to the elements most of this stuff goes away.

Last edited:
When you say "preparing it for use" you don't mean like burning it now, do you?

When you say "preparing it for use" you don't mean like burning it now, do you?
No, no. Getting raw wood ready for use takes many steps and time. I am just triaging the tree and cleaning off the branches, cutting and splitting, and now starting on the main trunk. I have pulled about 14 PU truck loads out so far. It was a monster boundary tree on my farm.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Gotcha. That will be good stuff in 2+ years

Last edited:
image.jpg This is a look at a center split on a 25-30 thick round. It is about 30' up the trunk. I don't know how the lower wood looks but this round is full of the fungus. The bark all looks fine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 134
I have run into this before with oaks. You will find a point where it is past the point of no return. Keep what you can of it but it will be a FAST burn. Also if it gets wet it stays wet for a while. If it was me I would just keep the best and leave or fire pit the rest.

I'm running my crib on about a 2-3 year rotation and this won't see flame for at least 2 years.
I'd go closer to 3 with that.
Looks like some I split this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.