Regency l3100 Cracks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Those manufacturers I was referring to were talking about freestanding units not inserts. I don't think any manufacturers specify dampers on inserts
Wow. Not entirely sure how they can sell so many in CT.

Wow. That is interesting information.

Those manufacturers I was referring to were talking about freestanding units not inserts. I don't think any manufacturers specify dampers on inserts
Yes, likewise.

It gives a draft specification and no I just had to put a damper on a 2700 on a 26' chimney.
Did you take any pictures of this install that included the damper installation?

Thanks for clarifying that, bholler and Begreen. Kind of discouraging in this situation.

Davidmsem, have you and wife ever considered putting a free stander in another part of your house? I don’t know how the layout would work for that, of course. Is it any kind of reasonable option?

Reactions: davidmsem
Thanks for clarifying that, bholler and Begreen. Kind of discouraging in this situation.

Davidmsem, have you and wife ever considered putting a free stander in another part of your house? I don’t know how the layout would work for that, of course. Is it any kind of reasonable option?
Thank you for your thoughts and I appreciate you trying to help us.

The floor plan really doesn't lend itself to a free stander, even though I would prefer that.

Don't think the fireplace opening is tall enough at 28 inches and height and then there were probably the issues with the mantle and heat etc. Any other location would need some type of stainless steel running on the outside of the home which I know she would not like. The back of the house has a family room and a connected kitchen all one big area it is 46 ft x 14 1/2 ft. It's really perfect for the location of the firebox. We just hang around there when home if not working. Really cozy space and lots of hanging around in shorts and t-shirts in the middle of winter.

Most people who get a fireplace insert don't even know what they're getting into, and that includes me 7 years ago. I would have done things a bit differently. But live and learn as they say.

As I've said before the first manufacturer who discloses all this information would be the first one to get a decrease in sales. So why would anybody do that?

Appreciate the input! It will be interesting to see if Regency classic i-2450m sells that is in my garage and what it sells for.

Samsung_Galaxy_S10+`20211206_213933.jpg Samsung_Phones`20190410_100925.jpg

It's a long time issue. There are posts going way back on this topic. Your excellent insert is also an easy breather and would likely have the same issues in this particular installation. Manufacturers test to meet the EPA standards. This is beyond the certification process. A stove designed to work well with this strong draft would work poorly in a single story home and during mild weather. As John Gulland and others have pointed out, the options are restricting intake air or flue output.

Last edited:
Thank you for your thoughts and I appreciate you trying to help us.

The floor plan really doesn't lend itself to a free stander, even though I would prefer that.

Don't think the fireplace opening is tall enough at 28 inches and height and then there were probably the issues with the mantle and heat etc. Any other location would need some type of stainless steel running on the outside of the home which I know she would not like. The back of the house has a family room and a connected kitchen all one big area it is 46 ft x 14 1/2 ft. It's really perfect for the location of the firebox. We just hang around there when home if not working. Really cozy space and lots of hanging around in shorts and t-shirts in the middle of winter.

Most people who get a fireplace insert don't even know what they're getting into, and that includes me 7 years ago. I would have done things a bit differently. But live and learn as they say.

As I've said before the first manufacturer who discloses all this information would be the first one to get a decrease in sales. So why would anybody do that?

Appreciate the input! It will be interesting to see if Regency classic i-2450m sells that is in my garage and what it sells for.

View attachment 293816 View attachment 293817

I understand completely. We have a large house and plenty of space but concluded that the absolute best place for wood heat was in our family room where everybody spends the most time. It’s open to our kitchen and eating area and school/craft/garden room. We love hanging out by the stove (that’s what we call our insert) in the winter.

I like the cat!

• Love
It's a long time issue. There are posts going way back on this topic. Your excellent insert is also an easy breather and would likely have the same issues in this particular installation. Manufacturers test to meet the EPA standards. This is beyond the certification process. A stove designed to work well with this strong draft would work poorly in a single story home and during mild weather. As John Gulland and others have pointed out, the options are restricting intake air or flue output.

I figure that our milder weather helps keep our long flue’s draft in check, though the stove seemed to run just fine during last February’s freeze, which is the only opportunity we’ve ever had to run it during single digits. I also think it’s interesting that my manual specifies a draft of .1 as ideal, but I’ve never actually checked the draft on our flue to what it is. It seems that is higher than other manufacturers’ that I’ve seen mentioned, though still not nearly high enough for someone like the OP.

I figure that our milder weather helps keep our long flue’s draft in check, though the stove seemed to run just fine during last February’s freeze, which is the only opportunity we’ve ever had to run it during single digits. I also think it’s interesting that my manual specifies a draft of .1 as ideal, but I’ve never actually checked the draft on our flue to what it is. It seems that is higher than other manufacturers’ that I’ve seen mentioned, though still not nearly high enough for someone like the OP.
Draft around .04-.1 is pretty normal. Most stoves and inserts will work well up to around a 24-25' flue depending on the setup. There are a lot of other variables that can affect draft so that is just a general observation. Local terrain, flue size, flue temp, flue intake location, turns, etc. all can have an effect.

Reactions: bholler