remembering to close the damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thom Griffin

Mar 25, 2012
In another thread, there was a mention of failure to close the damper, resulting in very high temps igniting combustibles that are too close to the chimney.

To solve the issue of "forgetting", I keep one of those cheap digital timers from the dollar store on my boiler. I set it for 5 minutes and put it in my pocket. That way, if I go to the kitchen for a coffee, then get involved in something totally different, off goes the alarm and all is well.

Good idea. I'd thought about putting a switch on it connected to a timer. The timer would then connect to an voice alarm saying, "Dummy, you left the bypass open!"
You're way sounds easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.