Remodel -- what to do with our basement fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffInCO

Sep 21, 2009
Colorado Front Range
We are doing a major remodel on our house... at this point it is more of a "rebuild", as we aren't keeping much of the old house. What we are keeping is most of the original foundation. One of the aspects of the old house that we were hoping to keep is the basement fireplace and chimney, but more on that below...

The house was formerly a single story ranch with a full basement; when we are done it will be two-story with a basement. The chimney needed to more than double in height to meet code.

Unfortunately, we learned early-on in the project that the existing masonry chimney was not constructed well (it rocked 2" at the top), so it had to come down. It probably was not stable because it contained no steel, was poorly strapped to the wood frame of the house, and only the outside perimeter of the chimney was sitting on the foundation. The inside wall of the chimney was sitting on concrete block that itself rests on who knows what -- maybe the manufactured firebox? (haven't demolished that yet).

The chimney was on an exterior wall, so now that it is removed we have a roughly 2 foot deep by 4 foot wide bump out on the north wall of the house, near the northwest corner. Currently, I can look down into what is left of the former flue -- it's only a few feet down to the firebox, but there is a bit of debris in there so I can't yet see much.

Our General Contractor wants to build a framed chimney, with a stainless flue.

As for the fireplace, the previous (original) owner left us a bit of information. The fireplace itself is a manufactured unit -- a "Heatform Fireplace Model A". I don't yet have the size, but I have the original installation instructions. Into the fireplace, the previous owner installed an insert -- an Earth Stove model c-200, purchased in 1983. The insert is still installed, so I can't see the firebox to determine its size or condition.

When the insert was installed, it was vented directly into the masonry chimney... no liner or new flue.

As I said above, we would like this to be a working, wood-burning fireplace. We like the stone around the existing fireplace, so we were thinking of installing a new EPA-certified, high efficiency insert.

Our General Contractor had his fireplace installer give us pricing on a few different inserts -- Pacific Energy "super" and "vista" and Enviro Kodiak 1200 and 1700. This installer told us that we should definitely install an insert that can bring in outside air for combustion; his reason was to not waste heat from inside the house. He also said that there is no way to connect a new stainless chimney to the old fireplace (i.e., the Heatform), although he could not see the old fireplace nor did he know that it is a Heatform model. He did know that it is a manufactured unit (vs masonry).

I went to a local hearth dealer to get a 2nd opinion, and, among other things, he recommended that I post here to the forums. Besides that, his concerns were as follows:

1) He was concerned about such a tall chimney on an outside wall, so he said that I definitely should install something that brings in outside combustion air. So, I got this same recommendation from both guys, but for entirely different reasons. The hearth dealer wasn't aware of any inserts that meet this criteria. I checked the Pacific Energy "super" model that was bid by the G.C's contractor and it appears that it does have the option for outside combustion air. Maybe the others do also... I haven't checked yet.

2) The hearth dealer was also concerned that I would fail inspection with an insert unless we rebuild the existing chimney so that the existing "Heatform" firebox is correctly vented. He explained that this may mean that I have to pay now for a chimney AND a correctly-sized liner for the new insert. He explained that if only the insert is connected to a new chimney, someone may someday remove the insert and build a fire in the old fireplace... a recipe for disaster if the old fireplace is not connected correctly to a chimney flue. He explained that it may be less expensive to take down the whole fireplace and install a new one (i.e., replace the "Heatform" with a modern firebox, rather than put a new insert in it.)

If this is to remain a wood-burning fireplace/stove of some kind, what is our best option? All of the options that have been presented to me are expensive, and if I'm going to spend the money I want to do this right. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

If it were me, I'd rip it all out of there and go with a modern free standing stove and chimney system. It will be cheaper and perform better in the long run. Make sure the new flue is well insulated. Despite what some will say, being located in a basement, I'd use an outside air (OAK), and there's a good chance it will be required by code or by the stove manufacturer. I like the free standing stoves much more so than the inserts, plus they're worth their weight in gold during a power outage. They perform better as a whole and don't generally require blowers to distribute the heat (which create noise and require electricity).

Pacific Energy makes respected products, but I don't know much about the other brand.

Tear the whole thing out and start from scratch IMO.Too put an insert in you would have to rebuild the whole chimney system with clay flue tiles,block and brick.That is the only way your heatform is desighned to be done.You also said the foundation was a problem.You need to start from scratch.If you want a fireplace look there are many Zero clearance high effciency air tight models to choose from. FPX,BIS,SELKIRK, the list is long.And they heat well. Or put a stove in the alcove where the old fireplace is. Have a chase built on the outside of the house too put the chimney in too keep it warm.Best of luck with your decisions any of them are going to cost a pretty penny to complete your fireplace.

Thanks for the wood stove idea (rather than rebuilding the fireplace). I think that a stove would be a good alternative, especially if there is less cost involved.

No matter what I do, I will first get input from the inspector. I don't want to spend a bunch of money going down a path that won't pass inspection.

Jeff

+1 !

I wouldn't hesitate to put in a new freestanding stove. Considering you are rebuilding above, also think about alternative locations for the stove. Maybe locate the stove and flue more in the center of the house. It will work better and stay cleaner. That might also allow the heat to rise upstairs better if there is a large open staircase to the first floor nearby.

Jeff, thanks for stopping by the shop. This is my online user name, feel free to contact me through here, or my work email that i gave you today.

I removed a masonry fireplace/chimney with a nice big insert and replaced it with a freestanding stove and steel pipe. I am very happy with my decision. The only benefit of a masonry chimney is aesthetics of the stack on the outside of the home and there are plenty of negatives including cost and maintenance. The inside hearth can be made to look very nice even if you don't have a true masonry fireplace. There is an occasional question on this site about whether an insert or freestanding stove is better. Every one of these discussions has ended up with the freestanding stove being superior unless you just need every inch of space since the freestanding stove will be in the room a bit more.

Sounds like that dealer is just trying to sell you something!

JUST KIDDING!! MSG is a great guy and knows his stuff. I know he will take good care of you.

wendell said:
Sounds like that dealer is just trying to sell you something!

JUST KIDDING!! MSG is a great guy and knows his stuff. I know he will take good care of you.

:p

This is going to be a interesting installation if we keep the heat-form fireplace. My guess is that we will be doing something free standing based on your guys opinion. The floor plan is interesting, i am thinking of a convection style wood stove vs a radiant. You guys gave him great advice, i did not know that he posted on here until he came in today. I had recommended this site so he could bounce ideas off of all you guys. Thanks for your help!

Nice to know he is in good hands. From the description, sounds like it might be a job for a PE Alderlea.

My preference would be for a freestanding stove with a stainless chimney and build a chase as your G. C. suggested. Keep in mind that a wood stove in the basement will not always give you the best heat upstairs. I know "hot air rises" but it really depends on the correct air flow pattern of the house layout for enough warm air to get upstairs to do a good job.

Your original post stated that the goal is a fireplace and chimney. I am assuming you mean a rock or brick faced chimney, as the old one is now gone? Nothing was mentioned about how serious you are about wanting to heat the house with wood. If the goal is just for aesthetics and not heat, then I'm guessing a fireplace is important. If you are interested in a fireplace, yet heat is important, then take a look at some of the zero clearance fireplaces that might fit where the old one is, and take a look at the heat zone options available to move that heat into other parts of the house. There are some out there that have outdoor air kits, but may not fit the space you have available.

If wood heat from this source is of major importance, get a freestanding stove, and move it now while you have a chance, to the area of the house where you will be spending your time.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.