Remote Reset Button for Quadrafire Classic Bay CB1200 FS !!! How to Remotely warm your shed with a P

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quad claims an estimated 2,000° temp of air coming through the ignitor slot.

It sounds as if your still not getting enough pellets. The ignitor is on the same amount of time every time.

If the stove doesn't start, and you wait a minute before toggling the switch. The pot and pellets have time to cool. So the 1st ignitor cycle is likely not retaining much heat. That and a 2,000° temp doesnt much matter if its 65° or 15° that puts yours at 1,950° and mine at 2,000° (hardly noticeable).

Can you let the stove cool.completely (over an hour) and then start it up. Let the auger finish its 95 second start up process and then turn stove off. Next either take pics or empty the into a measuring cup to see the amount it drops....

The temp shouldnt make much of a difference. Jrsdws (forum member) has a Baby Countryside in his Shop that he put an ignitor in. Within 4 minutes he has flame in it.....??

The ignitor slot on your stove does look different. The bracket and how much the ignitor is held within it.

I have to work today. But this evening. I will measure the pellet amount I get and take a pic of my bracket and ignitor. Thinking of placing a small metal bowl over the pot to "catch" them. Then after the auger stops (visually verify) I will shut it down.

Should start the 1st time. Every time. Thats the only way I would trust it and leave home with it running. Otherwise a stove that only runs when I am home?? Is no good to me..

Head out there with a propane torch and perheat the pot, then go back in a hit the switch.

That should tell ya something. No?

smoke show said:
Head out there with a propane torch and perheat the pot, then go back in a hit the switch.

The voice of reason is back. :lol:

The pot has to be so full to light.. But then if its to full, now there is a Deep Layer pellets and this will actually hinder the ignition. If you fill that pot up to the half way point, it wont light because there is 3"-4" of pellets and they will just smoke.

Needs proper air to fuel ratio (on top of ignitor). He is getting air, just not enough fuel? (In my opinion).

Don, can you measure the pellet amount on start-up? Also can you post a video of a burn on Youtube? A video of it in action (10-15 minutes after start-up, so its settled in and excess fuel is burnt from start up) Maybe something can be seen from it running (airflow issues? Possible weakening combustion blower?)

If it runs fine after the first start, maybe it is just the Cold. But my mind is boggled by that. :roll:

Will measure when I get home. Results and pics between 5-7 (Parents are coming over for Dinner and bringing my Son back).

DexterDay said:
smoke show said:

The voice of reason is back. :lol:

The pot has to be so full to light.. But then if its to full, now there is a Deep Layer pellets and this will actually hinder the ignition. If you fill that pot up to the half way point, it wont light because there is 3"-4" of pellets and they will just smoke.

Needs proper air to fuel ratio (on top of ignitor). He is getting air, just not enough fuel? (In my opinion).

Don, can you measure the pellet amount on start-up? Also can you post a video of a burn on Youtube? A video of it in action (10-15 minutes after start-up, so its settled in and excess fuel is burnt from start up) Maybe something can be seen from it running (airflow issues? Possible weakening combustion blower?)

If it runs fine after the first start, maybe it is just the Cold. But my mind is boggled by that. :roll:

Will measure when I get home. Results and pics between 5-7 (Parents are coming over for Dinner and bringing my Son back).

It does run fine after a cold start. Heck even at 50 Deg F it will start fine and run!

At 43 Deg F no it will not start! You guys have some really good ideas!

I would like to try 2 defferent things 1 at a time before a cold start:
1. Add more pellets to the pot. (If more pellets are needed on a cold start then we will know)
2. Warm the pot with a torch. (That huge pot is a very good heat sink when it is cold!)

Attachments

• voice-of-reason3.jpg
    voice-of-reason3.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 194
I would try opening the feed more Don. Adding pellets manually still wont solve the problem for the next owners of the stove.

The idea is to have an auto ignite stove, that can be set and forget. If I have to babysit the stove everyday, then I wouldnt want it (auto ignite models only).

You manually dumping them is not a cure. Altgough it will show you need more fuel and have to open the slider more. I wouldnt manually add much (maybe a half a handful to a handful).

DexterDay said:
I would try opening the feed more Don. Adding pellets manually still wont solve the problem for the next owners of the stove.

The idea is to have an auto ignite stove, that can be set and forget. If I have to babysit the stove everyday, then I wouldnt want it (auto ignite models only).

You manually dumping them is not a cure. Altgough it will show you need more fuel and have to open the slider more. I wouldnt manually add much (maybe a half a handful to a handful).

;-P

Attachments

• repetition_motivational_poster_by_quantuminnovator-d2z8yff.jpg
    repetition_motivational_poster_by_quantuminnovator-d2z8yff.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 196
Hello

Well a surpise turn of events here today. I am running the stove all day set to 70 with a 3 swing (0.75 Deg F)

It ran good all morning and then quit on a normal warm start cycle at about noon time. There were not enogh pellets in the pot and the auger stopped turning.

That point to the capacitor and until I get a new cap I will have to postpone the cold start testing!!

Also the Combustion Motor got a bit noisey.
Looks like an older Fasco where you can see the shaft turning at the very end.
What is the best LUBE for that? 3-1 oil, Lithium Grease?

The specs are FASCO Model 702111383 115 VAC 0.6A Type U21B 60 HZ 3,000 RPM
Quadrafire Part # 812-3381 with a diameter of 5 inches between the mounting screws. See red arrow in pic below:
Mauntain view Hearth has it for $330 !!! but I do not need the housing just the FASCO blower!!
http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/Quadra_Fire_1200_Exhaust_Blower_p/812-3381.htm

Does anyone know the new FASCO part number for it?

Maybe someone at Fasco Distribution can xRef it?
www.fasco.com • 800-325-8313 • fax 800-352-7207

Attachments

• FascoExhuastBlowerRedArrowSC.jpg
    FascoExhuastBlowerRedArrowSC.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 173
A failing combustion blower will give you lower air flow #'s. Which would hurt the ignition. Add that to a possible problem with the auger (needs a capacitor) and you will definitely have some start-up issues.

I would use 3-n-1 (blue can SAE 20) for the bearings on the blower.

As for your swing. Less than 1 degree each way isn't enough in my opinion. The Stove may not even cool down.completely before the start of the next cycle. Which if thats the case and the stove still thinks it "Hot". The auger will continue to run after the initial feed cycle and can cause an overfeeding on start up. A 2° swing (4° total) both ways works best for the Quad. Ensures that its properly cooled before the next call for heat.

How is a 3° swing (.75° each way) wouldnt it be (1.5° above and below)??

.75 + .75 = 1.5°??

I think he means position 3 or something like that.

He never said 3°. ;-)

smoke show said:
I think he means position 3 or something like that.

He never said 3°. ;-)

Correct, position 3. or 0.75 Deg F swing which is the highest setting.

Also I put the 3-1 oil on the exhaust blower and it quieted right down. So at this time I will replace the capacitor and go from there.

smwilliamson said:
Don2222 said:
Hello Dexter

Please look at the pics below and tell me if that is a normal amount of startup smoke? That will tell me if the ignitor is ok.

I understand that the loop ignitor placed in a bracket next to the iron pot will create more smoke than a cartridge heater inserting heat to the pellets thru a hole in the burn pot.

That installation is not to code. You have a ventilated soffit, you need to be 3 feet from that. I understand its a shed..just sayin

OK, Scott

Here is the 3 feet distance! See pics.

Is that acceptable now?

Thanks Don

Attachments

• TRHShedPS420ShedCodeComplianceSC .jpg
    TRHShedPS420ShedCodeComplianceSC .jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 182
  • TRHShedPS460ShedCodeComplianceSC.jpg
    TRHShedPS460ShedCodeComplianceSC.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 189
Don2222 said:
smwilliamson said:
Don2222 said:
Hello Dexter

Please look at the pics below and tell me if that is a normal amount of startup smoke? That will tell me if the ignitor is ok.

I understand that the loop ignitor placed in a bracket next to the iron pot will create more smoke than a cartridge heater inserting heat to the pellets thru a hole in the burn pot.

That installation is not to code. You have a ventilated soffit, you need to be 3 feet from that. I understand its a shed..just sayin

OK, Scott

Is that acceptable now?

Thanks Don

Don,

Now how many feet of horizontal do you have?

From what I see. .

4' vert = 2'
3' horiz= 3'
2-90°'s = 10'
15' total EVL

Still gotta do the measuring thing.. and take a pic of ignitor area.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Don2222 said:
smwilliamson said:
Don2222 said:
Hello Dexter

OK, Scott

Is that acceptable now?

Thanks Don

Don,

3 Feet Horizontal

What Dexter sees is correct!!
From what I see. .

4’ vert = 2’
3’ horiz= 3’
2-90°‘s = 10’
15 total EVL

Where my Feed gate is set currently. From running on Low last night (straight through the night). I got just above a 1/2 and less than 2/3 of a cup. This is using Presto-Logs made by Lignetics. A smaller pellet like Somersets would have fed more. If my feed gate was wide open with Somersets, it would be considerably more.

But this is what its at now. And will start every time.

I thought your ignitor slot was different. But its just the wing nut missing that threw me off. Yours has a screw. They changed it to a wing nut later on I guess.

That vent may be causing a slight restriction on the flow also. I got a 15' EVL just by looking at it. I may be wrong. But I thought you said it was 4' vert inside and then it looks like you added 2', to the 1' you had after the 90°…
It may not be also. The blower could be weak. The cap might need replaced?

Can you measure the pellet feed amount. I set the glass measuring cup kinda in the pot. Leaving room on the sides so the blower could still breathe. The handle held it perfectly in place.

My Wife was shakin her head!!! ;-P

Attachments

• ignitor1.jpg
    ignitor1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 216
  • ignitor2.jpg
    ignitor2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 208
  • pellets1.jpg
    pellets1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 218
  • pellets2.jpg
    pellets2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 214
Don2222 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Don2222 said:
smwilliamson said:
Don2222 said:
Hello Dexter

OK, Scott

Is that acceptable now?

Thanks Don

Don,

3 Feet Horizontal

From what I see. .

4’ vert = 2’
3’ horiz= 3’
2-90°‘s = 10’
15 total EVL

Fine, I didn't want you to correct one thing only to run afoul of the stove maker's limits.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Don2222 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Don2222 said:
smwilliamson said:
Don2222" date="1329856484 said:
Hello Dexter

OK, Scott

Is that acceptable now?

Thanks Don

Don,

3 Feet Horizontal

From what I see. .

4’ vert = 2’
3’ horiz= 3’
2-90°‘s = 10’
15 total EVL

Fine, I didn't want you to correct one thing only to run afoul of the stove maker's limits.

Thanks for thinking of that. A lot of factors here.
Sure do not want it to be like the pellet stove in Hebron NY. >> https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/91664/

DexterDay said:
Where my Feed gate is set currently. From running on Low last night (straight through the night). I got just above a 1/2 and less than 2/3 of a cup. This is using Presto-Logs made by Lignetics. A smaller pellet like Somersets would have fed more. If my feed gate was wide open with Somersets, it would be considerably more.

But this is what its at now. And will start every time.

I thought your ignitor slot was different. But its just the wing nut missing that threw me off. Yours has a screw. They changed it to a wing nut later on I guess.

That vent may be causing a slight restriction on the flow also. I got a 15' EVL just by looking at it. I may be wrong. But I thought you said it was 4' vert inside and then it looks like you added 2', to the 1' you had after the 90°…
It may not be also. The blower could be weak. The cap might need replaced?

Can you measure the pellet feed amount. I set the glass measuring cup kinda in the pot. Leaving room on the sides so the blower could still breathe. The handle held it perfectly in place.

My Wife was shakin her head!!! ;-P

I will check the amount of wood pellets as soon as I get a chance. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.