Remote Reset Button for Quadrafire Classic Bay CB1200 FS !!! How to Remotely warm your shed with a P

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I have found the best way to remotely heat a shed CHEAP is with an old Quadrafire Classic Bay CB1200 FS and a Lowe's LUX DMH-110 Digital manual T-Stat with the "Swing Setting" Changed to "Wide" or 0.75 Deg F

The reset button is mostly for a new stove or when you run out of wood pellets in the hopper.
The startup cycle is 95 secs for the ignitor to be on and that is how long the auger runs to add pellets to the fire pot. That does not give enough time to start the fire if the auger chute is not full of pellets.

Usually pressing the reset button 2 times gives the auger enough time to fill the chute and the fire starts.
See Wood Pellet Stove Electrical Hookup and T-Stat Hookup question?
Quadrafire Classic Bay CB1200 RESET button??
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/91194/

In my case where I have a remote toggle switch to open the T-Stat in the shed, I have a problem where if the shed is too cold, I have found 32 Deg F or below, then the 95 secs is not enough time to start the fire because the ignitor needs more time to ignite the pellets!!! That defeats the purpose of the remote switch in the house on really cold days!!

See

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/89580/

However, Looking at the wire diagram I see that the remote switch opens the T-Stat circuit in exactly the same way the reset button does because they are in Series!!! LOL
this means the remote switch is also a RESET button!!

So it was 31 Deg F this AM and 27 Deg F in the Shed. I flipped the remote switch on and if it lites, I usually see a fire in the pot thru the kitchen window thru the shed window in approx 8 mins!!
Being 27 Deg F in the shed I did not see the fire after 8 mins. So I flip the remote switch, waited a min and flipped it again. Within a few mins, I looked out the window and a fire in the pot was clearly visible!!

Now and can have breakfast and go out to a warm shed as long as there are pellets in the hopper!!

So the remote switch will work in all cases!!! LOL
So don't let the machine beat you!! Remember We control the machines!!

Good to know!!!
Quadrafire CB1200 Auger Cycle Times!!
These are “On†times.

High - 7.5 sec
Med - 6 sec
Low - 4.7 sec
Start up has an initial feed of 95 sec straight to fill pot for the ignition cycle.

Pic below shows wireless digital themometer showing the shed warmed up to 37 Deg F already!

See diagram

Attachments

• TRHShedPS380sc.jpg
    TRHShedPS380sc.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 784
  • TRHShedPS400RemoteHeatSC.jpg
    TRHShedPS400RemoteHeatSC.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 812
  • CB1200WiiringResetButtonSC.jpg
    CB1200WiiringResetButtonSC.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 3,814
  • NothingBurnsLikeAquad.jpg
    NothingBurnsLikeAquad.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 731
Don2222 said:
Hello

Snip ....

.... snip

That ain't how it worked with Skynet ;-) .

Best you check what programs are running in the toaster this morning.

Yes. Turning the stove On and Off is the same thing. No matter what kind of stat (wired/remote/etc)...

But you just ran a 2nd round worth of pellets into the Pot. Which is double the amount needed for start up.

Did you replace the ignitor? Outside temp shouldn't really affect the start up?

You run the risk of filling the pot Way To Much if you do that and can lead to a possible overfire of the stove.

If the stove misses an ignition with a pot full of Pellets. The pellets should be manually emptied or dumped into the ash pan via ash clean out rod.

The Flames at start up shouldn't get so High they touch the baffle. Having done this "Once" (just once) when I first got the stove years ago... Taught me that Flame was MUCH to large and sounds like a Freight Train.

Reset shouldnt be needed for a Cold Start. If it is, then there is likely an issue elsewhere. Its just like your Astoria dumping Twice the amount of Pellets needed for start up. On any stove its not good. That is a lot of pellets Don. I dont know if you have.done this while.you are out there.

The Quad starts feeding pellets almost immediately after ignition. Once the thermocouple senses the heat, more pellets start dropping. So 80% of the pellets in the pot havent caught and more start to drop. The pellets should never get anywhere near halfway up the Ski Ramp on the back (start up only). During normal burn (after start up) the pellets burn on just the flat surface, at the bottom of the burn pot.

Just a heads up. As it could lead to a Very Large Flame. Not meant to be reset if ignition is missed. Should be dumped or emptied (at least some of the pellets) I would empty the entire pot.

Just sayin..

DexterDay said:
Yes. Turning the stove On and Off is the same thing. No matter what kind of stat (wired/remote/etc)...

But you just ran a 2nd round worth of pellets into the Pot. Which is double the amount needed for start up.

Did you replace the ignitor? Outside temp shouldn't really affect the start up?

You run the risk of filling the pot Way To Much if you do that and can lead to a possible overfire of the stove.

If the stove misses an ignition with a pot full of Pellets. The pellets should be manually emptied or dumped into the ash pan via ash clean out rod.

The Flames at start up shouldn't get so High they touch the baffle. Having done this "Once" (just once) when I first got the stove years ago... Taught me that Flame was MUCH to large and sounds like a Freight Train.

Reset shouldnt be needed for a Cold Start. If it is, then there is likely an issue elsewhere. Its just like your Astoria dumping Twice the amount of Pellets needed for start up. On any stove its not good. That is a lot of pellets Don. I dont know if you have.done this while.you are out there.

The Quad starts feeding pellets almost immediately after ignition. Once the thermocouple senses the heat, more pellets start dropping. So 80% of the pellets in the pot havent caught and more start to drop. The pellets should never get anywhere near halfway up the Ski Ramp on the back (start up only). During normal burn (after start up) the pellets burn on just the flat surface, at the bottom of the burn pot.

Just a heads up. As it could lead to a Very Large Flame. Not meant to be reset if ignition is missed. Should be dumped or emptied (at least some of the pellets) I would empty the entire pot.

Just sayin..

Thanks Dexter

I see your point!

I did not replace the ignitor, it seems to work good.

But with the shed at 27 Deg F, I really do not think the stove was being overfired. I could see the flame and it still looked ok. Many homes do not get below 40 if there is no heat, but the shed gets much colder so it presents more startup problems.

So in this case the quadrafire classic bay is really the best stove for this job!!!

Hello Dexter

Please look at the pics below and tell me if that is a normal amount of startup smoke? That will tell me if the ignitor is ok.

I understand that the loop ignitor placed in a bracket next to the iron pot will create more smoke than a cartridge heater inserting heat to the pellets thru a hole in the burn pot.

Attachments

• CB1200StartSmoke (1)sc.jpg
    CB1200StartSmoke (1)sc.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 671
  • CB1200StartSmoke (2)sc.jpg
    CB1200StartSmoke (2)sc.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 664
Don2222 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Don2222 said:
Hello

Snip ....

.... snip

That ain't how it worked with Skynet ;-) .

Best you check what programs are running in the toaster this morning.

Toaster is on a timer!!

Are'nt you Wakin N Bakin??
http://bacontoday.com/waken-bacon-the-real-bacon-alarm-clock/

LOL

You think the toaster is on a timer.

Oh brother on the real bacon alarm clock, no alarm clocks are set around here.

I doubt a 30° difference in temperature between a stove in a Shed (20°) or a stove in a Cold house (50°) is gonna cause a misfire or a bad start.

Honestly the amount of Smoke is a Moot Point. If a pellet falls just right into the slot for the ignitor. I get ZERO smoke. Other times it may smoke for a few seconds.

Im just saying that doing a reset and adding a second serving of pellets is a Bad idea. It may be cold outside in your Shed. But the Huge Honking Flame is whats gonna warp the top baffle plate. That pic from your house shows a large flame. You can overfire a stove in 0° conditions. Its what's going on inside the firebox that does the damage.

Again. Do what you want. But its not a good practice. In my opinion. Way to many pellets for start up. You dont need more pellets. If you do, then your feed gate is set to low and should be opened to allow more fuel in. So only the standard start up sequence is needed. Otherwise I would look at your ignitor. It may have a "Dead Spot" in it. Check to make sure its All getting Cherry Red. Also make sure its seated properly .

DexterDay said:
I doubt a 30° difference in temperature between a stove in a Shed (20°) or a stove in a Cold house (50°) is gonna cause a misfire or a bad start.

Honestly the amount of Smoke is a Moot Point. If a pellet falls just right into the slot for the ignitor. I get ZERO smoke. Other times it may smoke for a few seconds.

Im just saying that doing a reset and adding a second serving of pellets is a Bad idea. It may be cold outside in your Shed. But the Huge Honking Flame is whats gonna warp the top baffle plate. That pic from your house shows a large flame. You can overfire a stove in 0° conditions. Its what's going on inside the firebox that does the damage.

Again. Do what you want. But its not a good practice. In my opinion. Way to many pellets for start up. You dont need more pellets. If you do, then your feed gate is set to low and should be opened to allow more fuel in. So only the standard start up sequence is needed. Otherwise I would look at your ignitor. It may have a "Dead Spot" in it. Check to make sure its All getting Cherry Red. Also make sure its seated properly .

Hi Dexter

I just tried starting the stove with the T-Stat switch as follows:

2 times at 50 Deg F
2 tomes at 30 Deg F

The Quad started right up at 50 Deg F with no trouble.
At 30 Deg F it would not start.

Why?

Wasn't the pelpro having the same prob? CRS

Normally I agree with Ken :lol: , but I don't think I do this time.

Kinda different but my manual start Greenfield starts the same in 20F or 40F... same 3 of pellets and same amount of gel starter.

krooser said:
Kinda different but my manual start Greenfield starts the same in 20F or 40F... same 3 of pellets and same amount of gel starter.

I know that some OAK's suck more air than others (dedicated).

So I say this naysayers. Its only 20° in his Shed. What about the house that is in Alaska and its -30° outside?? That air has to be cooler than the 20° in his shed. Even after being Pre-heated a little in the vent coming into stove?? Still Colder.

Im still stickin my Guns

Have you checked the ignitor yet Don? To make sure its Fully Glowing??

Also. This is where I suggest the feed rate be set at the factory settings (Flame height of 4"-6" set on High). When someone has Mis-Fires in a Quad, it could be a dirty stove (its not), or it may be a bad ignitor, or improper feed rate (to low).

Just sayin?

Someone needs a hug??? :lol:

I remember a thread a while back where someone was having missed ignitions on a cold start up.

Actually I think it was during the shoulder season and the stove was running on/off and was off for prolonged periods of time.

I just can't remember who it was or what kind of stove it was. I'm thinkin it was an old MtV non AE, just can't recall.

Just can't see how a large mass of metal that cold could heat up that fast.

Don2222 said:
Hello Dexter

Please look at the pics below and tell me if that is a normal amount of startup smoke? That will tell me if the ignitor is ok.

I understand that the loop ignitor placed in a bracket next to the iron pot will create more smoke than a cartridge heater inserting heat to the pellets thru a hole in the burn pot.

That installation is not to code. You have a ventilated soffit, you need to be 3 feet from that. I understand its a shed..just sayin

smwilliamson said:
Don2222 said:
Hello Dexter

That installation is not to code. You have a ventilated soffit, you need to be 3 feet from that. I understand its a shed..just sayin

Interesting about the code. I had the min recommended rise of 3 feet that the manual suggests so it could not be any lower from the soffit. I could extend the pipe out farther from the shed? Would that satisfy the code?

smoke show said:
Wasn't the pelpro having the same prob? CRS

Normally I agree with Ken :lol: , but I don't think I do this time.

Yes, the Pelpro was having a similar issue but I sold the darn thing before I could fully test it. Luckily I found the control panel was bad and the guy who bought it sent me the money for the brand new updated control panel. Now he has an updated stove just like the new ones for a really good price!!!

krooser said:

Actually Krooser, you make an excellent point!!

The only difference between your manual start stove and the Quadrafire is the Loop Ignitor.

So you hit the nail on the head!!!

The loop ignitor which looks like a small heating element on the electric stove top just does not have enough time within the 95 second start cycle at 30 Deg F or below to set the pellets on fire!!

Simple as that!

Thanks Krooser. :)

The ignitor is only on for 95 seconds???

My MtV stays on for 4 min. in pellet mode, like 14 for corn.

smoke show said:
Someone needs a hug??? :lol:

I remember a thread a while back where someone was having missed ignitions on a cold start up.

Actually I think it was during the shoulder season and the stove was running on/off and was off for prolonged periods of time.

I just can't remember who it was or what kind of stove it was. I'm thinkin it was an old MtV non AE, just can't recall.

Just can't see how a large mass of metal that cold could heat up that fast.

Yep... It was a Non AE and his Forum name is Bkins.

But the Non AE works different than the other 3 Quads (he schooled me). The Non AE uses whatever Setting you have it on for start up.

The Santa Fe, Castile, and Classic Bay all revert to High Heat and then after the start up sequence, go to whatever setting the Call Box is set to.

Just sayin.... ;-P

The way the air is Super heated, the cold pot or Cold air (nominal difference) shouldn't matter none.

I have asked now 3 times if he checked the ignitor?? If its damn near dead. It wont light the 1st time. I replaced mine last year because of a few failed ignitions. No problems now. This year I have ran it (when I run it?) exclusively on the stat (On/Off). Never a problem since my ignitor was replaced. Mine was only 3 yrs old. This stove is a decade older than mine and was abused pretty bad. May need an ignitor. Spending $40 to ensure the stove operates as designed, seems cheap to me. But thats just me. Maybe its not the ignitor. Maybe the feed is closed to far. It can happen. If you choke the feed gate down enough, you wont get enough pellets to get ignition. . . .

This is one stove I will truly vouch for. Knowing.a lot about its workings, timings, and when it does, what it does, and why it does it.....

Mine is running right now. To warm to run the furnace. Started right up. Only a wisp of Smoke and the Somersets are a Blazin!!

And maybe I do need a hug? You handing them out?? :lol: just ribbin ;-P

smoke show said:
The ignitor is only on for 95 seconds???

My MtV stays on for 4 min. in pellet mode, like 14 for corn.

No...The ignitor is on longer than that. The auger only feeds for 95 seconds. The ignitor runs much longer after the pellets stop feeding.

Seen how this is the second stove that won't light in the same environment, I'm blaming that.

Wtf do I know? Rip that Astoria out of the basement and try it in the shed. :lol:

I gotta be careful offerin hugs, Jay might get jealous. ;-P

I'd probly dump sum gas in there, mixed with black powder and about 20 wooden matches then hit it and watch from the house. :cheese:

Disclaimer: personal injury, death or property loss could occur.

smoke show said:
I'd probly dump sum gas in there, mixed with black powder and about 20 wooden matches then hit it and watch from the house. :cheese:

Prob not the best manual light method. But... To each there own ;-P

DexterDay said:
smoke show said:

Prob not the best manual light method. But... To each there own ;-P

Pook woulda approved. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.