remote work increasing wood usage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Maybe a little more, but then again being home all day I really get to see how well my house does passive solar heating during the day. I usually let the fire go down to embers by 11 and the sun is beating down on us warming the sun room and the front porch. The porch is enclosed but unheated but while it is 40 or so outside it is close to 78 on the porch just from the sun.

Also when I burn wood my temperature stinginess goes away. If we are burning oil I set it as high as 66 and not a degree more. But when I am burning wood that thermostat is up to 75 in the middle of the winter. I would never allow anyone to heat to that temperature with the oil furnace. :)

Maybe a little more, but then again being home all day I really get to see how well my house does passive solar heating during the day. I usually let the fire go down to embers by 11 and the sun is beating down on us warming the sun room and the front porch. The porch is enclosed but unheated but while it is 40 or so outside it is close to 78 on the porch just from the sun.

Also when I burn wood my temperature stinginess goes away. If we are burning oil I set it as high as 66 and not a degree more. But when I am burning wood that thermostat is up to 75 in the middle of the winter. I would never allow anyone to heat to that temperature with the oil furnace. :)
Same here with regards to the thermostat. I think that's a big part of why my wife like wood heat. Unfortunately there are tall trees (not mine) to the south that kill much of my winter solar.

I’d say it’s due to your being around for reloads vs letting the furnace or something run for a few hours. That and it gives you a reason to take a break.

Reactions: mar13