Removing a coal stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clp

Dec 7, 2017
MA
We bought a house with a coal stove in the basement. It does not have a permit, and needs some changes (namely hearth extensions) to be able to get one. Since we don't really need it in that room for now and honestly can't afford the expense, we'd like to remove it and store it and revisit it down the road.

I'll attach some photos of what it looks like. What do we need to do to remove it and cap it off on the inside? Any help greatly appreciated. We've tried finding someone local to help out but everyone seems to be booked for weeks or didn't get back to us at all.

Photos, I can take more if needed
a6a2d8f48aa75b9a043dca8c028fb9d8.jpgbce0af0f90c06b3c83d962fe89b9b15a.jpga6b3860cb2631e831122ef566b7eb0ba.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
where are you planing to store it? most box stores have stove pipe plugs/caps/covers measure your pipe and get corresponding cover
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.warrenpipe.com%2Fhardware-store%2FProdImages%2F47675.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
insulation wouldn't hurt. stove may rust in the shed. Depending how long its in storage, I might spray it down with DW40 and wrap it up with cellophane.

insulation wouldn't hurt. stove may rust in the shed. Depending how long its in storage, I might spray it down with DW40 and wrap it up with cellophane.

It may only be a year but could be more- or we may just try to sell it and buy a new one if we decided to put one back. Thanks so much for the help!! Another quick question if you know, would we theoretically be able to put a pellet stove in instead, with the hookups that are there?

yes, depending on the stove and the vent pipe requirements of the stove it can be done.

Reactions: Mt Bob
You can find some pretty fancy chimney plugs, painted with different themes.

If you are going to store the stove outside in a shed or garage I'd use foggin oil, then get some damp rid and put inside the stove and seal off any outside holes, or wrap it like advised. I would even wipe the exterior with a light coating of the oil. Yea it will be a little messy to handle later and will throw off some smoke when first lit, but if you burn it off outside before reinstalling it will stop exterior rust from forming.

Also instead of damp rid you can make your own with a couple of plastic buckets and some calcium chloride. You would want one bucket to fit inside the other but leave at least several inches between the bottom of both buckets. Drill some small holes in the bottom of the bucket that will be on top. Put the calcium chloride in that bucket and place it in the other bucket and place both in the stove.

The calcium chloride will draw the moisture from the air and it will settled into the lower bucket. Much cheaper in the long run as you will most likely have to buy a 20# bag of calcium chloride and will have plenty to reload the bucket several times as needed.

That looks like an old Channing 2 stoker from Alaskan. And a filthy one at that. You need to vacuum it out well including the hopper. Also clean the burn tray well. Coat it with oil or penetrating oil as was suggested. Be sure to oil the burn tray and the feeder we'll. I'd also pull the fans and combustion blower off, lube them and keep them inside. Do you know if it still works?