Removing old fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ninja-stove

Sep 26, 2019
MN
Hello everyone. Long time lurker and finally joined because I need some advice. I am in the process of removing the old fireplace insert. Can't find any marking or plate on the stove for model or brand, but I need some advice on how to unhook the chimney pipe from the stove. The chimney is Ameri-tec 8in. It seems to be snap lock pipe. How do I remove it from the stove? Attached are a few pictures of it.

I have unscrewed the anchor plate that was on top of the stove and unhooked the support bracket about 2ft above on the pipe. From here I can not figure out how to move or unhook the chimney. Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_20190926_144630.jpg
    IMG_20190926_144630.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_20190926_144616.jpg
    IMG_20190926_144616.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_20190926_144600.jpg
    IMG_20190926_144600.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_20190926_143821.jpg
    IMG_20190926_143821.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_20190926_143757.jpg
    IMG_20190926_143757.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 195
You typically start from the top and work down

I am looking to replace the stove with a newer more efficient stove and was hoping to leave the chimney in place. Is there a way to lift the chimney and slide the stove out, than put the new one under?

I am looking to replace the stove with a newer more efficient stove and was hoping to leave the chimney in place. Is there a way to lift the chimney and slide the stove out, than put the new one under?
The chimney would have to be approved for the new fireplace, the location of the chimney outlet on the fireplace would have to match and the anchor plate would need to fit the new unit properly.

The chimney would have to be approved for the new fireplace, the location of the chimney outlet on the fireplace would have to match and the anchor plate would need to fit the new unit properly.

The new stove is an Englander 28-4000. The chimney location will work the only thing is I would need a 6"-8" adaptor to connect as the chimney is 8" and new stove is 6".

Starting to look like more work than planed.

So the plan is to go from a ZC fireplace and replace it with a wood furnace, correct? It might be possible if all clearances and floor protection requirements are honored. The chimney pipe would need a new support system. The current anchor plate would not work.

The Englander 28-4000 is an add-on furnace. How would the output be handled? It has an 850cfm blower which is bound to be a bit noisy. Is that ok for this space? The ducting can get very hot so that must also be accounted for.

So the plan is to go from a ZC fireplace and replace it with a wood furnace, correct? It might be possible if all clearances and floor protection requirements are honored. The chimney pipe would need a new support system. The current anchor plate would not work.

The Englander 28-4000 is an add-on furnace. How would the output be handled? It has an 850cfm blower which is bound to be a bit noisy. Is that ok for this space? The ducting can get very hot so that must also be accounted for.

Sorry for my lack of proper terms but you are correct.
All clearances/codes will be met to keep us safe and Insurance company happy. This was verified before the purchase.
I realise the anchor plate would need to be switch along with the increaser to go to 8" pipe.
For the output there is separate ductwork (separate from the gas furnace) already in place that was connected to the old ZC fireplace that the new furnace could tie in to. I am unsure about clearance/code for ductwork from a wood furnace though. Or the heat can be dumped into the basement untill proper ductwork is ran.
Noise shouldn't be an issue as this is a basement and not really used.

The chimney is class A and should work if in good condition. It will need to be supported, then the furnace connected to the chimney with stove pipe. The logical place to support the chimney may be at the basement ceiling with a ceiling support box.

The ductwork from the furnace will need to stay away from any combustible. Normally this unit would sit alongside the main furnace and duct directly into the supply plenum. The closer to the furnace the more critical this space for combustibles is, but I don't know what the specific clearance is in this case. Best to ask Englander or the local mechanical inspector.

What is the make/model of the zc fireplace?

Last edited:
The chimney is class A and should work if in good condition. It will need to be supported, then the furnace connected to the chimney with stove pipe. The logical place to support the chimney may be at the basement ceiling with a ceiling support box.

The ductwork from the furnace will need to stay away from any combustible. Normally this unit would sit alongside the main furnace and duct directly into the supply plenum. The closer to the furnace the more critical this space for combustibles is, but I don't know what the specific clearance is in this case. Best to ask Englander or the local mechanical inspector.

What is the make/model of the zc fireplace?

The chimney is in good condition. Was professionally inspected and cleaned (for insurance to cover it) 2 seasons ago. Cleaned a few times by myself last season.
The chimney is in a built/framed chimney and does not pass through any floor or the main roof. Would it not already be supported?
The current duct work is ran through the floor joist along side the furnace ductwork. I will look in the Englander manual for more info

The fireplace is what is currently supporting the weight of the chimney. This is common with zc fireplace installations.

Im in the same situation right now and from all my research theres really no saving the chimney from these zc fireplaces. The only support is the fireplace itself and putting an insulated liner inside ot seems questionable at best. Working on pulling out my chimney this weekend and replacing it with 6" class a.

In this case the ZC has Class A chimney pipe.

The fireplace is what is currently supporting the weight of the chimney. This is common with zc fireplace installations.

There is at least 1 support bracket on the chimney before the fire stop after the 2x 30° bends. Haven't looked past that. Doesn't the support hold the chimney?

There is at least 1 support bracket on the chimney before the fire stop after the 2x 30° bends. Haven't looked past that. Doesn't the support hold the chimney?
If there are multiple supports like that one it probably would. Just that one I seriously doubt it

The support brackets are not designed for weight carrying. They are more to keep the pipe aligned and at the proper clearance distance.

Thanks for all the info and advice everyone! I haven't made any progress in removing the stove, but have contacted the chimney manufacturer, American Metal products, they say their new line Ameri Vent will connect to the old line Ameri-Tec chimney just fine as the connection is still the same. This is a huge relief as I can no longer find Ameri-Tec parts!

Side note. American Metal Products has great customer service! Sent an email last night around 4pm and had a reply at 6am. Asked another question today and had a reply within the hour.