Renovate chimney to wood burning fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trickle

Jan 20, 2013
East Central Missouri
All, I have a cinder block chimney that runs from the floor through the roof and up about 4-5 feet. It's approx 18"x18". There is a covered hole a foot or two down from the ceiling. I am thinking there used to be a wood burning stove that had a 90degree vent that went into this hole and exhausted up and out the chimney.

Since there is no stove there now, it would be really nice if there is a way to renovate the chimney to a wood burning fireplace.

Looking for advice, thanks!
Trickle

It might work. Is there anything else currently tied into this chimney like a furnace or basement stove? Is there a tile liner inside this cinderblock and if so, what are the inner dimensions? Pictures are a good idea here as is an inspection and clean out by a certified sweep.

Nothing else tied to this chimney. I believe it is cinder block with clay liner, unknown inner dimensions. I am getting an inspection and clean out by a certified sweep and will get more details on inner dimensions and verify how it is constructed then.

Was finally able to get pics today. Let me start with the inside pics. House is 862 sq. ft. in mid Missouri heated only by a Quadrafire 3100 wood stove in the living/room kitchen. That stove has enough to heat a house of that size but since I have this unused chimney in the 12x10 master bedroom it sure would be nice to have something in there...

Attachments

• GetMedia (10).jpg
    GetMedia (10).jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 107
  • IMAG0146.jpg
    IMAG0146.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMAG0194.jpg
    IMAG0194.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMAG0196.jpg
    IMAG0196.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 94
Exterior chimney pics -

Attachments

• IMAG0192.jpg
    IMAG0192.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMAG0193.jpg
    IMAG0193.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMAG0199.jpg
    IMAG0199.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 140
Wood stoves in bedrooms are generally not such a good idea. To boot, many code agencies (if you have them in your area to worry about) don't allow it, same goes for insurance companies.

pen

Completely understand Pen. I'm just looking for options since the unused chimney is there. Doesn't have to be a wood stove. Insert? Something else cool?

If it's in a bedroom, then you are pretty much limited to a Direct-Vent Gas stove. They will heat the space nicely and most would be approved by code and by the insurance company.

Reactions: pen
Status
Not open for further replies.