Repair old VC Encore or new Blaze King?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

amccarthy3

Sep 27, 2023
West Chester, PA
Deciding whether to grind off the chipped porcelain top of a 20 year old Vermont Casting Encore and replace the broken/warped upper firebox, cat, combustion chamber, gaskets and couple smaller parts or bite the bullet and purchase a Blaze King Ashford or Princess? The stove has been great but not sure about putting close to $2,000 in parts...

Also if we go the new stove route - would adding an 8" to 6" reducer to the existing double wall pipe affect the draft? Thanks for your help.

Old Encore.jpg

It's not ideal, but if the flue is tall enough and the draft is within spec, then it can work. The increaser would go at the ceiling support box. FWIW - The BK King 40 takes an 8" flue.

You can’t get a tax credit on a new BK but not on the parts. That would make the decision for a new BK for me. (If you any tax liability).

I did the routine of putting thousands of dollars into old stoves of dubious technology. Never again!

I'd probably just replace the venting with 6 inch, or be checking on the legality of passing 6" up thru the existing 8", and buying an Ashford 30. Hey... that's what I did, when I finally woke up!

Do note that the 6" liner I slid into my 8" liner is a blanket-wrapped 6" slid into a clay tile 8" bore, not stainless in stainless.

The stove pipe is Simpson Duravent 8" double wall total length from top of stove roughly 6' inside and 5' on the roof is that tall enough for the draft with the increaser to work?

We just had a new roof put on 2 years ago would not want to mess with it if possible. The BK King could fit with the clearances but seems too big for our room and kind of like the Ashford looks. The tax credit definitely helps.

Unfortunately, that is too short for any modern stove. It might work with a BK Princess or Regency cat but be prepared to added a length of chimney pipe and a brace if not. The BK King just has a larger tank. It can burn low and slow. That said, the Ashford is considerably better looking but it should have at least 15' of flue system.

Reactions: BKVP and Ashful
It’s always interesting to me when people say these are good stoves but it needs $2K worth of work. That means it’s not a good stove, even the old “good ones” weren’t good. Just better than what was available at the time. Cut your losses and upgrade to a solid stove that won’t need constant maintenance and replacement parts.

Reactions: Ashful
Agree cutting my losses and moving on to BK. I misspoke about a great stove, the VC was good for us but lately has needed parts and more parts.... My dad still burns a 40 year old Harman coal stove that has hardly needed any parts - that is a great stove!

Thanks for the advice and will update when we can get the new one.

You can’t get a tax credit on a new BK but not on the parts. That would make the decision for a new BK for me. (If you any tax liability).
I think you meant you can get the tax credit....

BKVP

Reactions: Ashful and EbS-P
Thanks to all for the great advice in the forums. A local dealer recommended a Green Mountain 40? the firebox specs look a lot smaller than a BK Ashford 30.2 and we like to keep the stove burning 24/7.

I realize our chimney needs to be extended - if we run the 6" double pipe to an increaser at the ceiling box and add more 8" pipe on the roof create enough draft or should we consider replacing the whole flue with 6" ?

Thanks to all for the great advice in the forums. A local dealer recommended a Green Mountain 40? the firebox specs look a lot smaller than a BK Ashford 30.2 and we like to keep the stove burning 24/7.

I realize our chimney needs to be extended - if we run the 6" double pipe to an increaser at the ceiling box and add more 8" pipe on the roof create enough draft or should we consider replacing the whole flue with 6" ?
If your chimney pipe is already 20ish years old I would consider replacement. Most only have a life expectancy of 25 or so years.

Comparing an Ashford 30.2 and a Hearthstone Green Mountain 40 is sort of like comparing a fully-loaded Cadillac Escalade to a Honda Civic base model.

Ashford 30.2 is near 3 cubic feet, can run 30+ hours on a single load, and is a premium product in both performance and price.

The Hearthstone Green Mountain 40 is a tiny 1.3 cubic foot stove, running around half the price of an Ashford 30.2, and with an unspecified burn time, probably under 10 hours maximum.

Nothing wrong with either choice, but they are in no way similar or comparable stoves.

Reactions: amccarthy3
The Green Mountain 80 is their large stove of a comparable size. Unfortunately, this stove takes an 8" flue.

Well Amy, the BK Ashford 30 is a great stove, but perhaps the experts here could recommend some additional options for comparison, if they knew the parameters of your place and intended usage a little better.

I'm obviously a big fan of the Ashford 30s. I have a budget for, and burn enough to justify replacing the pair of them every second year. Yet I stick with them, because I can't imagine anything working better for me. But there's no one stove that fits every user and every house, so laying it all out there and hearing the pros and cons on a few options might be useful for you.

Hi again, back with sticker shock after quotes from 3 Blaze King dealers - all are North of $9,000 for the Ashford with all new 6" - 15' flue. Not trying to put anyone down but it's a straight shot thru a one story cathedral ceiling, I know I can do the install but I'm not certified for insurance. Have many installed their own and certified the system for insurance from a chimney sweep?

We burn the stove 24/7 my wife likes the house warm and with an open floor plan it keeps the propane furnace off.

Hi again, back with sticker shock after quotes from 3 Blaze King dealers - all are North of $9,000 for the Ashford with all new 6" - 15' flue. Not trying to put anyone down but it's a straight shot thru a one story cathedral ceiling, I know I can do the install but I'm not certified for insurance. Have many installed their own and certified the system for insurance from a chimney sweep?

We burn the stove 24/7 my wife likes the house warm and with an open floor plan it keeps the propane furnace off.
Industry Statistics show 67% of wood stoves are "self-installed". This could by a DIY or use of a sweep or contractor etc.

But you must also remember 60% of wood stoves sold are replacement stoves. While installation is not difficult, a proper install is mandatory.

You (if you pay taxes or have tax liability) should be able to use the the 25C Tax Credit and claim 30% (up to a max of $2,000).

This applies to any qualified stove of course.

Speak to your tax professional to make certain you are eligible for the credit.

BKVP

Reactions: Hexa Fox
Thanks we should qualify for the tax credit. I get the proper install and want to run all new 6" pipe, our old chimney needs to be replaced. Do DIY installs have difficulty getting certified for homeowner's insurance?

Thanks we should qualify for the tax credit. I get the proper install and want to run all new 6" pipe, our old chimney needs to be replaced. Do DIY installs have difficulty getting certified for homeowner's insurance?
No. Do them precisely as instructed and maintain all clearances. Pull a permit with the city (if required) and have it inspected following the installation, provide insurance provider with copy of inspection/approval.

Some will suggest you ask your insurance provider prior to making a purchase if there are any issues with heating your home with a properly, inspected wood heater.

BKVP

I'm in PA, and I paid $2800/ea for my Blaze King Ashford 30's in 2015. I know prices have gone up, but... damn!

I already had the chimneys lined from prior stoves, and did my own stove pipe mod's to install the BK's. I think my total investment in stovepipe and other fittings was under $600.

I would get pricing from Fireplace and Chimney Pro's in Kintnersville, and plan to do the chimney myself, unless you have some uniquely challenging situation preventing it.

I don't have direct proof, but given the rapid jump in pricing I suspect that some are tacking on a premium, knowing that the tax credit softens the blow.

WA state has increased wage rates that are influencing how we conduct business. Regulations are changing, including test methods that require sizeable investments in equipment and R & D. Transportation costs are stupidly insane. As a mfg, we get notices for price increases weekly.

BKVP

Still 7k for a stove and pipe…..I assume the competitors are quoting similar. That will deter some customers for sure. The air force heat pumps are becoming more and more popular, I see them as direct competition to wood burning systems.

Reactions: BKVP
Unfortunately 9k isn't that crazy with our current pricing and operating costs. We get constant price increases insurance is up cost of operating vehicles it up cost of those vehicles is etc

Unfortunately 9k isn't that crazy with our current pricing and operating costs. We get constant price increases insurance is up cost of operating vehicles it up cost of those vehicles is etc
Totally understandable. But there is a tipping point where it just does not make sense to spend 9k (7k with credit), as we all (seasoned wood burners) it does not stop there in terms of cost. Not to mentions ones time😳

Something to be said for happy wife, happy life. I loved being able to load up the BK and walk away, even more so with that King.

You have to keep in mind you can run low and slow with that thermostatic control so don't let the size fool you, you just increase your burn time.

Could you do the stove this year and new 8" liner next year?