Replace Gasket on Garrison II Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mountain lily

Nov 9, 2017
Vermont
We have a Garrison II wood stove. The gasket needs replacing, so we did our best to remove the old cement, but couldn't get it out. Is there a cement that you recommend? The previous kind we used was almost impossible to get out of the tube.

Someone recommended taking the doors off, but we are not sure if we can. Does anyone know how to take the doors off the Garrison II stove?

We have a Garrison II wood stove. The gasket needs replacing, so we did our best to remove the old cement, but couldn't get it out. Is there a cement that you recommend? The previous kind we used was almost impossible to get out of the tube.

Someone recommended taking the doors off, but we are not sure if we can. Does anyone know how to take the doors off the Garrison II stove?

The doors are just held in their hinge by gravity, all you have to do is open them and then lift straight up. Getting them back in is the only hard part, as you have to line up both the top and lower pins to fall into their respective holes at the same time.

Keep in mind the doors can accumulate ash/soot, so be prepared to get a little dirty and put out a newspaper or tarp under the stove when you remove them.

When I got my Garrison 2 gaskets replaced I just took the doors to Stove and Flag Works in Williston and they installed them for $5 or $15 (it might even have been free). You could take them to a stove shop and they can put them in for just a few bucks and 10 minutes of time.

Last edited:
The doors are just held in their hinge by gravity, all you have to do is open them and then lift straight up. Getting them back in is the only hard part, as you have to line up both the top and lower pins to fall into their respective holes at the same time.

Keep in mind the doors can accumulate ash/soot, so be prepared to get a little dirty and put out a newspaper or tarp under the stove when you remove them.

When I got my Garrison 2 gaskets replaced I just took the doors to Stove and Flag Works in Williston and they installed them for $5 or $15 (it might even have been free). You could take them to a stove show and they can put them in for just a few bucks and 10 minutes of time.

Very helpful - Thank you!!!