Replace Oslo with Woodstock PH?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotul8e2

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 2, 2008
Ozarks
I need to replace the old, primitive Dutchwest cat I out in my shop. It needs a total overhaul, including new cat, after which it would still be too small and far, far too difficult to operate. It was given to me about 10 years ago and I may have paid too much. I could...

1. Buy an Englander 30, sell the Dutchwest for parts, and be done for under $1,000.

2. Buy a Woodstock PH for our house and move our Jotul Oslo out to the shop. The Oslo has plenty of output and the burn times would be ok. The PH would be a simple remove and replace.

Advantages to choice 1: About $2,000. Not trivial, but it will not move my retirement date up or back either.
Disadvantages: None I can think of.

Advantages to choice 2: Here is where I need help. 2.8 cu. ft. firebox vs. around 2.2 for the Oslo (is that right? Anyone actually know?) Longer burn times? Better control of output? Altogether over the last six or seven years my Oslo has caused me exactly zero problems. However, it is not great during the shoulder seasons as even a single load can shoot the house temps up to we're-sleeping-on-top-of-the-sheets-again-tonight, mama. It was 58 degrees today, is forecast to be that or better for as far as the forecast runs, so the stove is shut down - maybe for the season. If, in fact, the PH can give me more controllable clean burns, that would be a real plus.
Disadvantages: About $2,000, and possibly shorter burn times on the shop stove with the Oslo vs. the Englander 30 (?).

Our house is 2500 sq. ft., close to being superinsulated, and between 0 deg. and 45 deg. we get nice even temperatures throughout the house. The Oslo is very easy to operate, I have 70 acres of hardwoods, and the heat pump costs very little to run during shoulder seasons. I load four times a day when very cold, three when it is warmer, or not at all.

So, to spring for the extra $2,000 I would need significant controllability and would probably like to load just twice a day. Otherwise there would be little point.

If the Oslo is hard to keep the temps down during shoulder season you may want to consider a full cat stove. The BK Sirocco or Ashford can run low and slow during shoulder seasons. FWIW, I like the 30NC option better for the shop stove. The Oslo sounds like it is doing the job well. Try building smaller 4 split fires in milder weather and don't replenish the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.