Replace Seton 130 - best option

SteveJ Posted By SteveJ, Jan 4, 2019 at 2:28 AM

Dismiss Notice
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year!....and Happy Holidays!
  1. SteveJ

SteveJ
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 19, 2007
    Loc:
    CO 9000ft
    What is the recommended true wood gassifier for an off-grid 2700sq ft house?

My Seton 130 has worked okay for 10 years but the heat exchanger developed pin sized leak in one tube.

If I replace, I would like a true gassifier with very low power requirements and ideally handle rounds.

What are your expert recommendations?

Thanks,
    Steve

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    True gasifiers & rounds usually don't jive with each other.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Fred61 likes this.
  3. SteveJ

SteveJ
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 19, 2007
    Loc:
    CO 9000ft
    Thanks for the reply... Gassifier and no smoke is the preference. The Seton was great for rounds and even green wood but developed pinhole leaks in one of the heat exchanges tubes and the ash and smoke are too much.

4. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    All gasifiers will burn clean with proper fuel & procedures.

Do you have storage? Can you add it?

You mentioned low power requirements. Can't get lower than what I have. All others use draft inducers or forced draft fans. But it requires storage. And a fairly tall good chimney.

All kinds of good choices out there, you'd have to sort out your priorities & situational preferences. They all work much better with storage - some can 'get by' without it. You Seton likely would have lived longer & would have worked better with it, along with dry wood.

salecker likes this.