Replacement chains

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jcamp38

Nov 9, 2015
Michigan
How do I tell what size chain I need for my Stihl 291 chainsaw with a 20 inch bar? Also, does anyone have any good websites to order them from?
Thanks

IMG_3154.jpg
It is stamped on the bar....Ebay is your best bet for Stihl chain.In this example it is a 18 in bar with 3003 000 9417 being the bar reorder number...the 3/8ths stands for the chain pitch and the 66x is the amount of drive links followed by 63...the gauge.

Last edited:
I bought my last set of chains from Amazon for under $20 each. I went with Oregon LPX for my Stihl Farm Boss. I like the way that they cut and wear and I find them easier to sharpen on my grinder than the Stihl chains. You can lookup the chain type here.

When replacing a chain, match the following three specs:

PITCH
GAUGE
DL ( number of drive links)

As Tar12 mentioned, you may find this information stamped on a known compatible bar.

ASIDE: There is a fourth feature of a chain that sometimes comes into play with smaller saws. If your bar has a narrow kerf (NK), you have the option to use either a standard kerf chain or NK chain. If your bar is standard kerf, you can NOT use a NK chain on that bar. NK chains are found in .325 and 3/8LP pitches.