Replacing Englander 25-PDVC/55-SHP10 igniter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dude_499

Jan 28, 2019
Northern U.P, MI
Hi Everyone,

Short-term lurker, first-time poster here.

Bought a home and inherited an Englander 25-PDVC/55SHP10 pellet stove with it. The unit works if lit manually, but the igniter doesn't glow when we try auto-start.

Acknowledging that you can't fix all 37 things that are wrong with your golf swing in a single round AND that Rome wasn't built in a day...after an initial middle-of-winter stove-interior cleaning/scraping/vacuuming I'm starting small with the igniter (there will be gasket replacements and flue cleaning and blower cleanings...after the snow has melted). I've downloaded a manual from the Englander site, sifted through many forum postings at this site and watched a few YouTube videos. With that bare smattering of information, here's my deal:

The mfg date on the unit is 07/2006.

When accessing the igniter from the back of the unit there appears to be a 5/16" set screw to the left of the existing igniter/collar but after loosening it, the "old" igniter doesn't seem to want to move. I'm hesitant to use excessive force to remove it by really reefing on it or by using pliers or locking pliers. My fear is that excessive enthusiasm could break off the igniter leaving a big chunk of it behind in the cast iron where the collar buts up on the igniter hole. And THEN how to get it out?

Wanting to avoid that particular problem, does anyone have advice for easing the old igniter out (if "easing" is possible)?

Acknowledging that I can't take a cell phone picture to save my life, I'm attaching an image of the back of the igniter/collar and set screw (sorry for the reaaaaally bad image quality).

Thanks in advance for any kind advice.

Attachments

• igniter.jpg
    igniter.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 369
If you plan on using the stove daily you will be doing gaskets and cleanings regularly. Englander stoves are temperamental to cleanliness, they do not perform well if dirty. If it is needed you can remove the burn pot and plate and use a drift and tap the igniter out from the front. But you will need a pot gasket (or 5 keep them on hand)

This is the big brother to your stove but its the same procedure

Last edited:
It's probably corroded in place. Use a screwdriver and hammer to tap on it and it should loosen up.