Replacing Refractory in VC 2190

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

billjr

May 8, 2016
Connecticut
Hello all,
Just curious....somewhere I read a post from a fellow who instead of removing the heavy damper assembly, just cut the new refractory box in half and replaced it like that. Is anyone here familiar with going that route instead of the complete tear down to replace the refractory box as indicated in the VC manual? What would in your mind be the cons on doing it that way? Thanks for any input on this.

Bill

Well, the upper fireback casting sort of squeezes up against the refractory to make a seal, so trying to fit the refractory in place behind the upper wouldn't really allow it to seal properly. You could try it I guess. If it doesn't work, just buy another refractory assy. for $240.00!

Taking the upper fireback and damper out is a lot easier if you remove the top. Yes, it's hard to get at the nuts in the rear corners, but the top should really be recemented at its age anyway. 2 nutted studs in the back corners, 1 screw in the front in the center on top, tap upwards and voila. Chip off old cement nad reassemble, after having done all the internal work first. Hope you have long skinny fingers!

Oh yeah, strap the stove so the back can't fall off while it's apart. With out the top and upper fireback bolts to hold it, the back is free. Maybe caulk the rear corner seams with furnace cement while yer at it.

defiant3... Thank you for your informative response. My first VC stove was a 0028 that I bought new in 1987. I think the biggest part that scares me away from taking it apart is my previous experience with the bolts braking off in the cast iron. Being a bit older and less flexible doesn't help either, although on the bright side I do have relatively of thin fingers. But again I appreciate your time and response. At least the refractory that's in there now is still in pretty good shape, but just looking down the road.

Bill