New to me VC Intrepid 2 2070

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

myjdeere

Oct 30, 2022
NY
First post here and i know nothing about wood stoves so be gentle. I recently got a Intrepid 2 2070 from my brother in law. Damper stuck closed, no throat hood, and upper fire back is not in good shape. He was using it like this for a few years. I don't mind replacing those parts, I did find that the refractory assembly is almost gone and the catalytic element is completely gone.
My main question is can I replace the damper, throat hood and upper fireback and run this stove with the damper always open? I will be using it maybe 7-8 weekends a year, late fall and early spring in a 600 sqft cabin in NY.
I love the look of the stove just can't see throwing all that money into the catalytic parts. Looks like the new stoves the "cat package" is optional. Thanks for any insight

The damper and all other parts need to be in good working order. It sounds like the stove was trashed. I would not spend a penny on it. For not much more you can get a good working stove with no issues and several years of reliable service ahead.