Repost of CL ad I tried last week, seems to make sense to me.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfd95

Burning Hunk
Jan 25, 2009
Eastern Long Island
Tried to post this the other day and something went screwy.As I said last time it makes sense to me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-07-20, 2:45PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for 3 cords of seasoned or partially seasoned firewood to burn this winter. NO BS, NO PINE.

My terms are simple: I will pay by check on delivery the full amount due. If the cords are true, and there is no junk wood or pine, we will have no problem.

If the cords are short, or there is pine, you have 2 days to make good. I will leave the pine in the driveway for you to pick up and exchange for hardwood.

If you don't, I cancel the check, and you can either pick up all of the wood or make good at that point. I will write you a check minus the cancellation fee I was charged by the bank.

If you are honest, there will be no issues, and I will continue to order wood from you (as will 3 of my friends, who also cannot find an honest firewood dealer). We are in Miller Place (11764).

I'm tired of the nonsense, and I was screwed on every cord of wood I ordered last year.

I'd sell him wood and give him exactLEE what he was asking but it wood be $400/cord. Premium wood brings a premium.
I charge $100/cord delivered for my lower grade-green firewood and I take no checks unless it is an old customer. It is what it is and I tell my customers that.

If I were a wood seller (and I am not), I would automatically think that you are the pickiest SOB type customer that could not be made happy. Whether that is true or not - that is the take away I would have. Like absolutLEE said - I would either charge you an absolute premium for the delivery, or more than likely, just shy away from your add.

Just one dudes opinion thats been burning wood for awhile.

[quote author="XactLEE" date="1311639171"]I'd sell him wood and give him exactLEE what he was asking but it wood be $400/cord.

From what I hear the going price for a cord is $225-300 delivered.People are always moaning that it wasnt a full cord and full of crap.

Sounds like hes been ripped in the past but who knows whos at fault. Theres a guy in my area that sells green for $185 and seasoned for $225, his definition of seasoned is he cut the tress 12 months ago and split them a couple weeks ago. Apparently someone ordered the seasoned and it wasnt to their satisfaction of what seasoned meant and he wrote a scathing post on craiglist. The buyer apparently didnt ask enough questions to get what he wanted. I wouldnt call that particular seller a schister as we all know seasoned is a vague term, as a buyer you have to ask questions.

weatherguy said:
I wouldnt call that particular seller a schister as we all know seasoned is a vague term, as a buyer you have to ask questions.

I absolutLEE agree that you must be armed with knowledge. On the other hand, as a buyer, laying down demands with consequences is probably not the foot I would try and start off with. Maybe its just me, dunno.

Jags said:
weatherguy said:
I wouldnt call that particular seller a schister as we all know seasoned is a vague term, as a buyer you have to ask questions.

I absolutLEE agree that you must be armed with knowledge. On the other hand, as a buyer, laying down demands with consequences is probably not the foot I would try and start off with. Maybe its just me, dunno.

Yeah, he went a little over the top, its simple, when the guy drives up look at the load, if it looks good have him dump it and give him cash.

nsfd95 said:
north of 60 said:
Whats the beef with a little mix or a few sticks of pine?

Pine is a dirty word in these parts for some reason.

I would capitalize on that one and have it delivered to your house for free. Less dense, less time to season.
Should still be able to keep you warm in those parts. As long as they dont lock ya up for burnin it. ;-)
Was that your add or one you saw. I tink it needs clarification.
Cheers

I think all seller buyer disputes dealing with quality of firewood should be settled via dance off. The winner would be determined by the inevitable crowd that gathers. You cant go wrong using the applause meter. :cheese:

Wanted: buffed and polished cord of wood cut, split, delivered, stacked, and placed in my wood stove as I need it. I will pay with a third-party check from South Yemen that will clear when I say. And you will like it. If you are honest, there are no issues. If you are not, I will ninja-kick you in the eye.

Why don't I get any takers with this one?

S

north of 60 said:
nsfd95 said:
north of 60 said:
Whats the beef with a little mix or a few sticks of pine?

Pine is a dirty word in these parts for some reason.

I would capitalize on that one and have it delivered to your house for free. Less dense, less time to season.
Should still be able to keep you warm in those parts. As long as they dont lock ya up for burnin it. ;-)
Was that your add or one you saw. I tink it needs clarification.
Cheers

Not my ad, just one I found,

If you are honest, there are no issues. If you are not, I will ninja-kick you in the eye.
I hadn't thought of thought of that but when I do buy wood I will definetly negotiate that into the deal

I would be a bit reluctant to take that guy's check.

Blue Vomit said:
I think all seller buyer disputes dealing with quality of firewood should be settled via dance off. The winner would be determined by the inevitable crowd that gathers. You cant go wrong using the applause meter. :cheese:

Oh, now it's on

Adios Pantalones said:
Blue Vomit said:

Oh, now it's on

Oh, now your gonna see AP all gettin' down with his bad self.

Jags said:
Adios Pantalones said:
Blue Vomit said:

Oh, now it's on

dont feed the fire...last time AP let the "bad self" out, it took weeks to get it back in, and the children are still a little on edge.

Around here, canceling a check like that would result in being arrested for fraud. A check is a promise to pay. If there is a problem with the quality of the goods, other means must be used to rectify it.

Delta-T said:
Jags said:
Adios Pantalones said:
Blue Vomit said:

Oh, now it's on

dont feed the fire...last time AP let the "bad self" out, it took weeks to get it back in, and the children are still a little on edge.

did it look anything like this?

I'd sell him premium DRY wood slightly over a cord at a very premium price. If the check didn't go threw we'd have a problem.

Wood that was cut into logs live a year ago and split 2 weeks ago is about as dry as the tree in my yard with green leaves on it. People need to stop using the term seasoned wood and use the term dry wood if thats what they want. Then check it with a moisture meter before its off-loaded.

The one thing that should be cut and dry, so to speak, is that if the seller is promising hardwood then there should be no pine mixed in. Period.
We all know there is nothing wrong with dry pine. I have never bought firewood and don't intend to, but if I order hardwood and the seller agrees to deliver hardwood then there should be no pine.

I know we have some forum members that are in the firewood business. They know what they're doing and I believe them to be honest, but face it!
It seems that 90% of the sellers are rip off artists. They probably sprinkle salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder on the wood and call it 'seasoned.'

Dry wood for sale . . . dry since we haven't had rain in several days. ;)

Seasoned or dry . . . one can always define these terms as they want . . . it really boils down to being very clear with the seller as to either when the wood was processed (and by this I mean when it was cut and split) or to simply take some moisture meter readings . . . if the wood is acceptable a sale is made.

Status
Not open for further replies.