Resolute Acclaim - just broke foot off :-(

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LiteWait

Nov 14, 2008
CT
Moving stove on a dolly and slipped, proceeded to break a foot off where it connects to the stove (the corner on the stove where the screw hole is cracked off). What are my options here? Is it repair-able or am I going to have to put bricks under it or something. Boy I am a dumb ass.

Does the hole penetrate into the stove or is it just cosmetic?

I am guessing you are dealing with cast as mild steel would bend but not break. Cast does not weld very well at all but if this is just cosmetic and the repair area is hiden it should take enough weld to hold the foot on. I am saying this with a ton of welding and steel work experience but not knowing or seeing what you are dealing with. Maybe pics would help.

Cast will accept a weld as long as it is not a working piece. The foot just needs to be held in place solid enough to let gravity do it's job holding up the stove. If it were a handle or latch that is being moved and stressed often it would break at the weld right away.

Do you know or have access to a welder - preferably a mobile welder so you dont have to move the stove to the shop?

The holes for bolts that secure the legs are bored directly into the cast iron and support the weight of the stove. It cracked right across the screw threads.

IMG_0042.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.