Resolute I 0042 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ahovel

Sep 7, 2008
Haverhill, MA
Hello,
I just purchased a used Resolute I 0042 (Griddle sits on top) and I have a couple of questions that I'm looking for some help with.
1. It has two glass panels in the door. On mine there is a very slight gap in between them. Is this how it was designed or is the stove missing a part that is supposed to go in between them?

2. In the back where the damper handle goes into the stove there is a hole. I have attached a picture. Is this hole supposed to be there?

Thanks,
Aaron

Attachments

• DSC04922.jpg
    DSC04922.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 505
ahovel said:
Hello,
I just purchased a used Resolute I 0042 (Griddle sits on top) and I have a couple of questions that I'm looking for some help with.
1. It has two glass panels in the door. On mine there is a very slight gap in between them. Is this how it was designed or is the stove missing a part that is supposed to go in between them?

2. In the back where the damper handle goes into the stove there is a hole. I have attached a picture. Is this hole supposed to be there?

Thanks,
Aaron

I think we have the same stove, but it is a Resolute III model 0042. There is gasket material between the glass and the doors, also a gasket where the 2 doors come together. Could yours be worn to the point there's a gap there now. Also, you can adjust the "pawl", the part that latches the doors when you turn the handle, to adjust the "tightness" of the doors when they're latched.
It's connected to the handle on the "inside" of the right door.
As far as the picture goes, you've "zoomed in" so close that I can't tell what part I'm looking at.
I set my Resolute up in Jan. of this year and it's a great little stove. It heats my whole 960 sq. ft. ranch house beautifully.
Good luck,
Snyde

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I actually have an older model with only 1 door that opens down. You can see a picture of the front attached. So the glass is not separated by two doors. The slight gab between the two panes of glass is just barely visible in the picture.

Also, I posted a less zoomed in picture of the where the hole is. The hole is in the back of the stove where the damper handle rThnakod goes into the stove.

Thanks,
Aaron

Attachments

• DSC04935.jpg
    DSC04935.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 505
  • DSC04923.jpg
    DSC04923.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 471
That looks like our first VC stove. I don't remember the gap around the bypass damper rod, but it has been a few decades since we owned it. Ours had a solid front, no glass, so I can't be sure about the gap you are describing. I believe the inside glass should be gasketed and have no air leaks around it.

Hi,
Thanks for the response. The front has two glass panes and is gasketed around the sides of the glass but not down the middle where the two pieces of glass meet. Do you think the middle (where the two glass panes meet) should be gasketed as well?

The hole where the damper rod goes in seems bigger than it should be. I most concerned that it might be a safety issue. Anyone out there know how I can figure this out. Can I call Vermont Castings? Do they have support phone number?

Thanks,
Aaron

The hole is not large, it might be able to be sealed with a small plate or perhaps a bit of a weld. I might just stuff a little kaowool in it and see how she runs. However, if the bypass action is sloppy, then that would not be a good fix. Can you wiggle the bypass lever up and down in this hole or is it pretty firmly in place?

As long as the interior glass is sealed well, I wouldn't think the outer glass would be an issue, but best to ask VC 802-234-2300.

ahovel said:
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I actually have an older model with only 1 door that opens down. You can see a picture of the front attached. So the glass is not separated by two doors. The slight gab between the two panes of glass is just barely visible in the picture.

Also, I posted a less zoomed in picture of the where the hole is. The hole is in the back of the stove where the damper handle rThnakod goes into the stove.

Thanks,
Aaron

I see. As far as the damper rod goes, mine is the same as yours. I think it comes from the factory that way. There is a "fireback",(piece of refractory material), on the inside of the back of the stove that covers over that area, that takes the brunt of the heat. I ran mine for 3 months this year that way, with it just the way yours is, and there was no problem. It's not like the stove is going to be right up against a flammable surface. As long as you protect your walls, keep proper clearances etc. as per the stove instructions, I really don't think it's anything to be concerned with.
As far as your glass goes, when you said 2 pieces of glass, I automatically assumed you had 2 doors, and it was a Resolute model III. There are links on here for parts for old stoves, I used them when I was rebuilding mine. Do a search and you'll find them. There's a link to a parts breakdown and owner's manual so you can see if there's a part for your glass that you're missing. A close up picture of the glass would help us help you. ;-)
Good luck,
Snyde

Status
Not open for further replies.