Resolute II, first-time stove owner install question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jbMA

Jul 6, 2021
Cape Ann
Hi Folks. I'm considering purchasing a Resolute II stove that is in excellent shape inside and out. It was used very briefly and has since been in storage for over 30 years. We just moved into a home that previously had a VC Encore installed. This flue pipe is fixed in place, mortared solidly in that chimney hole. If I buy this Resolute, I believe its flue collar will be close to 2" lower than the Encore that this pipe was installed to meet. Thoughts for how I could best make this work? I suppose I could lift the Resolute on some additional tiles, but that doesn't seem ideal, at least aesthetically. Perhaps another way to achieve this connection with some kind of flue piping/adaptor that won't push the stove out much further? Thanks!
PXL_20210705_134813366.MP.jpg

Pay attention to the clearance requirements for the Resolute. What is behind the brick? Is there a physical chimney behind the exposed brick wall?

Any form of offset is going to need room and will move the stove forward into the room.
FYI It looks like that is a steel elbow into the chimney which is already providing a small offset. That should not be mortared in. I might be able to be replaced with a stainless 45º elbow connected to a second 45º elbow to create a 4.5" offset. This may require chipping out some brick underneath the first elbow.

Pay attention to the clearance requirements for the Resolute. What is behind the brick? Is there a physical chimney behind the exposed brick wall?

Any form of offset is going to need room and will move the stove forward into the room.
FYI It looks like that is a steel elbow into the chimney which is already providing a small offset. That should not be mortared in. I might be able to be replaced with a stainless 45º elbow connected to a second 45º elbow to create a 4.5" offset. This may require chipping out some brick underneath the first elbow.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, that is a full chimney that's lined and liner pipe connected to that steel elbow. This is how the last owner had his Encore set up.
72817938_8_0.jpg

Ok, if nothing but brick all the way behind the stove then rear clearances can be minimal.

Hi Folks. I'm considering purchasing a Resolute II stove that is in excellent shape inside and out. It was used very briefly and has since been in storage for over 30 years. We just moved into a home that previously had a VC Encore installed. This flue pipe is fixed in place, mortared solidly in that chimney hole. If I buy this Resolute, I believe its flue collar will be close to 2" lower than the Encore that this pipe was installed to meet. Thoughts for how I could best make this work? I suppose I could lift the Resolute on some additional tiles, but that doesn't seem ideal, at least aesthetically. Perhaps another way to achieve this connection with some kind of flue piping/adaptor that won't push the stove out much further? Thanks!
View attachment 279998
Still considering making this purchase and lifting the stove (on bricks or something, for now, at least) to the height I need to meet that elbow. One more basic question about the connection: I have seen what look like perfectly round 6" flue collars on VC stoves, and also the very wide VC oval collars. But the flue collar on this old Resolute is not quite round and certainly not the wide oval variety. Would I squeeze the 6" round elbow into this slightly less than round collar?

IMG_5056.jpgIMG_5057.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the crimped end should fit.