Restricted air inlet damper on new VC Defiant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DaleD

Mar 25, 2022
Washington
I am new to this site. My new Defiant has a very restricted air inlet damper. Will not stay up to temperature wide open unless I crack open the ash pan. Excellent draft causes great heat up with ash pan cracked open. Inspected small rectangular oval damper plate. It only opens a crack before interference from inner stove plate. Not sure how to get and keep this big thing hit. I’ll include the photo of oval damper that hardly moves.

C30B9D05-94AC-4FE1-9ED9-2F3EBFF22117.jpeg 0EA99795-F61E-4A60-AAD0-A0FFA8D1DB2E.jpeg

You want to be very careful burning with ash pan open. You can overfire the stove and warp parts of the stove.

You want to be very careful burning with ash pan open. You can overfire the stove and warp parts of the stove.
Or crack the base which is very expen$ive to replace.

What is the flue system like on the stove? Can you describe it from stove to chimney cap in detail?

Has the wood been tested for moisture content? Can you show the steps you are taking to start the fire? Do you start a kindling fire first?

Last edited: