retrofitting antique cook stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jehosafat

Jun 29, 2008
central, maine
My wife and I have an 1898 Glenwood Grand home Cookstove. We love it and are loath to get rid of it. But it will burn as much wood as you can throw at it. We would love to retrofit the fire box instead of buying a newer stove.
Does anyone have any ideas or resources that might help us??

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• glenwood stove full.jpg
    glenwood stove full.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 660
That's a beautiful old stove, I'd be hesitant to get rid of it too. What sort of a retrofit are you wanting to do to it? Do you use it for heat? Cooking? Both? If you want to keep that old stove, but are concerned about its efficiency as a source of home heating, have you considered leaving that old beauty as-is and adding a modern woodstove elsewhere in the living space? I know...more questions than answers, sorry. Welcome! Rick

Thanks for the response. After looking into it I think we're selling the stove and getting something more efficient. Not enough room for 2 stoves. My wife will miss the shelves.( I'm not sure where she'll put all her chickens.)

Status
Not open for further replies.