Reverse draft scare

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wolves1

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2014
Malverne ny
This may have been posted already but I have an important question. This morning I walked into the basement and smelled something burning. Could not figure out where it was coming from and call the fire department. After looking with heat sensors the fire department thought that that there might’ve been a reverse draft in the boiler flue (hasn’t been turned on) that is running next to my insert flu. Has anyone ever come across this? If they have how do I avoid it happening again?

what does your chimney termination look like. A plain open end and the right wind can cause havoc. Basements are prone to a negative atmospheric pressure so maybe some type of venting to relieve that negativity.

Brick chimney two terra-cotta flue’s going up both with liners. Been burning my insert for 15 years first time this happened.

Yes it does happen. it is recommended that the inserts chimney is a minimum 18" higher than any chimneys in the area