Rika (Austroflamm) Integra II shut down after Er0 (error 0)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

semipro

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 12, 2009
SW Virginia
I was having a problem with our Integra II when we first started it up for this season. The unit would start normally and then immediately alternately display "Er0" (error 0) and "CL" (cleaning mode) after the end of the 21 minute starting cycle. An extensive cleaning did not help. After some snooping I found that the low level limit temp sensor located on the exhaust outlet was bad. Its a normally-open switch that is supposed to close once the exhaust temp reaches 45C (113F). I ran the start cycle and monitored the continuity at the two switch terminals. It registered very high (m-ohms) and never changed even when the stove was hot after 21 minutes of start-up. I inserted a jumper wire across the switch connections and the stove works normally.

The switch is a standard therm-o-disc style snap unit. Once I locate a replacement I'll follow-up on that.

Reactions: pinetop12
Yep,happens,kind of rare on a rika.Cheap ones on ebay,and some stove shops and parts sellers sell the cheap ones at high prices,I recommend you deal with the people out here,that lake girl reccomended stove parts unlimited.They have been building their reputation for quite some years,and are great to deal with.Bob.

Yeah, I noticed that the one Rika used was made by "Shining", I'm guessing Chinese. They apparently used to use the Therm-o-disc brand but must have changed. Too bad.

well kind of a catch 22,back in the days,since they were first imported,they were modified,to meet our countrys a/c power usage,and other parts of the stove were made here,lots were assembled here,the wega is and american invention,then we went through a time where Austria would not send us parts,because we were in an "illegal" war,big mess.With snap switches,more expensive is not ness. any better,as there are so many unscrupulous dealers.As long as you are smart enough to keep it running,as you have proved,great.

Was wondering what happened that they were no longer imported ...
Yep could give you a long history,but as you have to purchase a large quantity to import them,and nobody wants to modify them for a fair price,(electrics are much different) we will never probably see new ones over her again.Last ones came over in 09-10,anything being sold as new is very old.But they still have a very good wood stove market,over here,as they build an awesome series of wood stoves.

As an update per Lake Girl's suggestion some photos of the repair.
The first shows the location of the sensor in the exhaust manifold of the stove.
The 2nd is a closer view showing the sensor
The 3rd is a photo of the replacement sensor I purchased.
The 4th shows a mod I made to the side panels to allow them to be removed more easily. I installed screws and then use wingnuts to secure the panels. Sheet metal screws were used before.

The machine screws that held the sensor in place were apparently installed without any anti-seize compound. Removing them was tough and it felt like they might break off. I got them out but some of the aluminum from the exhaust manifold remained in the screw threads. I used a die to clean the screw threads then reinstalled using anti-seize compound. Had anti-seize compound been used in the first place the damage would not have occurred. Steel screws used in aluminium can result in seize caused by galvanic corrosion.

Edit: Also, the original gasket used is very fragile and likely can't be reused. Be prepared to replace it or use something else. I used high temp silicone RTV.

Stove Blower wide.jpg Stove blower close.jpg Thermo switch.jpg Side Panel mod.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks semipro! I've heard a few people today mention changing out the screws for wingnuts/screws. Sounds like a good idea for ease of cleaning and maintenance. Up and running again?

Thanks semipro! I've heard a few people today mention changing out the screws for wingnuts/screws. Sounds like a good idea for ease of cleaning and maintenance. Up and running again?
Its running great!

Thanks for posting the update. Nice diagnosing on your part . Have the Rika insert . Zero maintenance issues , in 4 years. Heating the house with the Integra II is a pleasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.