Rika Integra II outside air question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

deltaroc

Dec 4, 2007
Upstate NY
Good Morning,

I have a question about an Rika (Austroflamm) Integra II I just purchased, which was manufactured in June 2009. I am very familiar with the Austroflamm stoves as this one replaced an Integra manufactured in 1991 or 92. My question relates with the fresh air intake. On the new stove there is a nice plastic fitting to connect the outside air flexible pipe to, unlike the old stove where the outside air pipe extends through the cabinet and connects to the steel pipe of the stove. So, my problem is, if the outside air pipe is connected to the plastic fitting, the fitting doesn't extend inside the cabinet to connect to the steel pipe of the stove, so, in essence, there is a couple inch gap between where the flex pipe connects to the stove and the actual steel pipe headed toward the air sensor and burn pot. Is this correct, and if so, how does it receive any outside air if this is the case?

Hope this makes sense. Any help and advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5971.jpg
    IMG_5971.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 393
I disagree.First generation Integras had the same gap between the steel fitting for tube,on outside of stove,and the steel tube inside that holds the air sensor.Do not have a picture handy,but could take the side off mine if ness.Anyway,some stoves have that gap,especially older units.The drawback is cold air can drop into the house when stove is not running.On this forum,several owners of older integras,have connected them,with no ill effects.Some stoves are still made that way.Recently,there was a post here,about an insert,Lennox?, that had just the fitting,ending at back of unit,air intake is several inches in front of it,but intake for room air blower was open,just off the side,inches away,Worse design I have ever seen.

I disagree.First generation Integras had the same gap between the steel fitting for tube,on outside of stove,and the steel tube inside that holds the air sensor.Do not have a picture handy,but could take the side off mine if ness.Anyway,some stoves have that gap,especially older units.The drawback is cold air can drop into the house when stove is not running.On this forum,several owners of older integras,have connected them,with no ill effects.Some stoves are still made that way.Recently,there was a post here,about an insert,Lennox?, that had just the fitting,ending at back of unit,air intake is several inches in front of it,but intake for room air blower was open,just off the side,inches away,Worse design I have ever seen.

Interesting, I guess I should have added I purchased the 1991 Integra used so the plastic fitting must have been removed, I would have never guessed. Thanks

No,first gen should have had a steel fitting in the back,but,people have removed them and hooked direct.Others have added a valve,to shut off when not using stove.I would not be afraid of removing your fitting and hook direct.