River Birch VS Black Birch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sledhead41

Sep 16, 2007
Circle Pines, Minnesota
I just scored 2 truck loads of Birch off craigs list. The fella said it was River Birch. The leaves say its Blach Birch. Trying to get pics.

Attachments

• 101_1107.jpg
    101_1107.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 620
  • 101_1108.jpg
    101_1108.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 637
sure looks like river birch

I have heard Black Birch has a winter green/spearmint smell and taste under the bark or if you chew on a twig?

sledhead41 said:
Birch is a good day time burn.
Burns good at night to. Black Birch has more BTU per cord than Oak.

River Birch has light pink heartwood - a lighter shade than cherry. These logs don't seem to have that, so unless that color is washed out in the flashbulb, it isn't River Birch.

I am not sure I can tell from the bark in those pictures. Black Birch here can be pretty variable in how shaggy the bark is, and I have seen some that look like the wood in the pictures. Black Birch does have a distinct wintergeen smell. You will smell it while splitting, or chew on a small twig and you'll taste it. (you could merely scratch and sniff a small twig, but it would be more dramatic to chew it). Black Birch is a very high BTU wood. I'd guess River Birch is a lot closer to White or Paper Birch in BTU than to Black Birch.

Wood Duck said:
I am not sure I can tell from the bark in those pictures. Black Birch here can be pretty variable in how shaggy the bark is, and I have seen some that look like the wood in the pictures. Black Birch does have a distinct wintergeen smell. You will smell it while splitting, or chew on a small twig and you'll taste it. (you could merely scratch and sniff a small twig, but it would be more dramatic to chew it). Black Birch is a very high BTU wood. I'd guess River Birch is a lot closer to White or Paper Birch in BTU than to Black Birch.

Anyone call Black Birch "Cherry" Birch out your part of the state, Wood Duck? We do here...

Finaly got around to spliting today. By far the stringingest wood I have ever split,. Had to fight it to the last 1/2 inch almost every piece. No minty smell, but will smell good in the woodstove!

Post a picture of the splits. I don't think its either.

I haven't heard anyone call Black birch 'Cherry Birch' here in western PA. I'll ask the local lumberjacks next time I run into them.

If the wood doesn't smell like wintergreen, it isn't Black Birch, but it'll still be pretty good firewood.

Heres a pic of the splits. Some of the heart wood did have a pink color to it. The best thing is Craigslist topped it off with a truck load of Red Oak. YAA HOO done spliting for the year, have 2 years of wood split and stacked.

Attachments

• 101_1115.jpg
    101_1115.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 323
If its all the same tree, the paper flacking looking split is called river birch.

Status
Not open for further replies.