River Birch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2010
North MS
I have several river birch down in my bottom land and I was wondering if any of you had ever burned it. Also, does it split good and all that stuff like btu output and things?

I've never burned it, but I've burned white, gray, yellow, and black. Yellow and black are great, white and gray are good - I'm guessing river birch is like the white and gray birches - I've never seen it on a BTU chart. Each of the above birches split easy (black has been the toughest of them all, and still not too tough), so I'm guessing river birch will treat you right - good luck! Cheers!

Birch tends to rot quickly after it dies if not stacked and split, so I'd get it cut ASAP. I think River Birch is about like White Birch; in other words, pretty good firewood.

my dad cut one that was leaning way over when i was younger. I certainly don't remember how it burned (or would have even thought about it then), but I definitely remember the water just pouring out of that trunk when he cut it. lots and lots of water.

Burns good but quick and pretty stringy when splitting.

FLINT said:
my dad cut one that was leaning way over when i was younger. I certainly don't remember how it burned (or would have even thought about it then), but I definitely remember the water just pouring out of that trunk when he cut it. lots and lots of water.

Birch tends to go a bit spongy under the bark when dead and rot starts to set in. Water is easily absorbed, and it really can pour out if compressed a bit.

If you have to use it, strip the bark, and place somewhere dry, and it will dry out in time.

I'm cutting a dead one tomorrow (if it stops raining) and I suspect there are a couple of spongy bits near the roots, so I'll probably leave the bottom to rot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.