Riverside Aer-Duct for wood? Made by Rock Island Stove Co

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hempdiddy

Jan 27, 2014
Detroit, MI
Hi folks,

Do any of you know if the Riverside Aer-Duct can be used with wood? I'm not sure cuz I currently use a boxwood stove and a wood burning insert, so I'm a little unfamiliar with this style of stove. The Riverside Aer-Duct is an antique and I have a chance to get one from a neighbor for a fair price. Can this thing burn wood? More information can be found below. Link 2 is the actual stove in question.

Link1

Link 2

your links didnt work but everything I found on them say they are coal stoves. You can burn wood but it wont work very well. But maybe better than a box wood if it is the vogelzang one.

Links ok for me. The principal is similar to some current convection stove designs. Here's the stove picture. Not sure if it is a coal burner or not. The stove in the article has a bottom air feed that is missing on this stove.
01515_aFNQ515HD9R_1200x900.jpg

More pics:
01717_8M5t1nxLjVV_1200x900.jpg 00c0c_88p31FGNRqt_1200x900.jpg 00F0F_mV4N1wM9gJ_1200x900.jpg

There are dampers on the side for intake, right? The seller doesn't know anything about this stove, really.
Also, what is the grated opening on the top for? The seller swears its a wood burner.

What do you think? If it's a wood burner, I'd like it for my basement.

Last edited by a moderator:
The linked article has the best explanation of the design.
Riverside.jpg