Roaring Sound in Santa Fe Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my Quadra Fire Santa Fe for a year now and have been happy with it, but recently it's startd making a loud.....snoring ??.......roaring ??....sound on startup. After the flame has burned for 5 minutes or so, and before the blower comes on it will quit. Flame is a little high at 1st, then comes down to spec, but the roaring continues. I've thoroughly cleaned it, vacuumed out behind the brick, cleaned the air holes in the firepot, scraped the bottom of the firepot.....I'm at a loss. If any of you have ever heard an old bull-roarer that you swing around your head on a string, that's about what it sounds like.

It lit a few minutes ago and now I'm noticing that the noise is still there but fluttering, sort of, and not nearly as loud, tho' it was very loud after flame ignition. Blower is running. NWTH ??

Thanks.

Lar.

Yep, my Castile used to do the same thing, posted here years ago. Many theories, most of which have to do with lots of air flow through the pot and such. Does it go away after it's a bit dirty? Some have had luck with filing the burn pot hole burrs. For what it worth, mine only did this the first year or so, now not at all, seven or so years later. Curious how your venting is set up? I always thought it was more of a resonance, could almost feel it more than hear it.

It's kind of strange. When I bought the stove, it's a long story, but basically the store that sold it had goofed it up and had it set to burn LOTS of pellets - they also sell pellets. The stove made that noise then, too, but I finally traced it down to too much fuel/not enuf air. Cut the fuel back and for the past 10 months it's been very nice and quiet. Just started this up again the other night, which is why I went thru and cleaned it thoroughly, trying to give it more air. I dunno.

I did clean the air holes in the firepot, but is it possible that ash has gotten farther back in and is restricting air flow ?? How would I go about getting at it ??

Thanks

Lar.

biglar said:
It's kind of strange. When I bought the stove, it's a long story, but basically the store that sold it had goofed it up and had it set to burn LOTS of pellets - they also sell pellets. The stove made that noise then, too, but I finally traced it down to too much fuel/not enuf air. Cut the fuel back and for the past 10 months it's been very nice and quiet. Just started this up again the other night, which is why I went thru and cleaned it thoroughly, trying to give it more air. I dunno.

I did clean the air holes in the firepot, but is it possible that ash has gotten farther back in and is restricting air flow ?? How would I go about getting at it ??

Thanks

Lar.

Leaf blower trick ....

Not sure what the leaf blower trick is, but I've been experimenting and I think I have the answer. Last year I burned a ton of "Calientitos" pellets and they worked fine. Very light colored and very hard. Very little ash.

I ran out in December and started on a ton of "Heat'rs", made in Show Low, AZ. They are much darker and somewhat softer and I"ve been having feed problems with them since they don't seem to slide down the hopper as well. Had to open up the slider a bit to feed more and it still only burns about ½ of the hopper. Sleep 6 hours in this weather and the stove is out of pellets. Usable pellets, anyway, and hafta go thru the re-set process, while freezing my buns off. A lot of these pellets are breaking up into sawdust and that doesn't feed very well, either.

As I said, I cleaned the stove thoroughly last night. Tonight, in spite of zero temps outside I shut the stove down a bit ago and tore into it again. I'm amazed. The firepot was plugged an inch deep in clumps that wouldn't fall when I pulled the rod - had to use a screwdriver to bust it up. The inside of the stove was over ½" deep in the fine "sand" and it was up into the exhaust. Air holes in firepot were plugged.

I cleaned the whole thing out again, including rodding out the firepot holes and used a shopvac very thoroughly and it's on its' first light now and never made a sound.

Huh......that's interesting......it was running steady and barely holding 64º in here earlier and it went clear down to 59º in the room while I was cleaning it. I just now noticed that the stove had shut down and thought, "Oh NO." Went to check and room is up to t'stat setting of 65º - just while I was typing the above. That's food for thought, eh ??

Lar.

I use those same pellets really a lot of fines this year, I tries some greentree there out of show low also they burn better I think by the same company. Marked premium pine. Our stove does the same thing once in awhile think its a lot to do with the high flame and the top baffle vibrating.
Cleaning those holes really helps I do that every time I dump the ash pan.

These stoves have been known to do this whem overfired too, I can cause this on mine by tossing a handfull (alot) of pellets in a fired up pot (not suggested!). So overfeed and/or different pellets maybe? How's the flame look when burning? They seem to overfire a bit on ignition and then settle down with some fuels.

yes, it's perfectly normal in a high fire condition like at start up or if it gets a good shot of pellets during normal operation. Nothing to worry about. You can get the same thing with a good healthy wood fire in a fire place. That's why they call it a 'roaring fire'.... After a while I don't even notice it or at least ignore it. Just one small minus for a wood pellet space heater.

Change your pellets ....I have used Pro Pellets and Somersets with good results in my Quad ...

Slow down your feed rate and it might go away.Mine did.Makes a rumbling sound.Only does it with some brands.Some pellets burn hotter then some.Blazers rumble the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.