Roasting Pan On Top of Wood Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
You know those old school black with white specks roasting pans with lids? Can I use it on top of my stove for water (bring up humidity)?

you could. i would say you might want it elevated a little bit. that is also a lot of water and surface area.... just saying.

FWIW - I just had one of those "faux - LeCrucet" enamelized pots on my wood stove and worked fine. I've had a anodized aluminum pot on there as well. Encountered no problems at all. As I remarked to my son - "we're cookin' like the settlers did!"

The only problem I see is that they are lightweight and big. So, easily bumped or splashed. If some happened to bump a cast iron crock it probably wont move much. Bump a large tin pan and you may splash water on someone.

I've always been skeptical of trying to introduce enough humidity into a room with a pot on a woodstove. Its to little usually to late to make any noticeable impact. I have a higher end home weather station with a ton of sensors, a few sensors take inside reading, temp and humidity, my typical humidity inside the house without the humidifier is averaged out to 33-35%, with the humidifier I can get it closer to 38-39% which is normal for winter indoor air (anything above 40% can lead to condensation on the windows)
Think of it this way, I have a free standing sunbeam humidifier that has a 1.75 gal tank, it takes about 24hrs of constant running for that tank to need a refill, but can you imagine trying to have a pot big enough to sit on top of a woodstove to introduce that volume of moisture to the room?
Very dry air indoors means that the house has air leaks, cold dry air from the outdoor migrates into the inside, the air becomes warmer from the stove and objects that retained the heat from the stove, but the humidity is nonexistent in the air because it comes from the outside.

You know those old school black with white specks roasting pans with lids? Can I use it on top of my stove for water (bring up humidity)?
You should be fine. The smaller the pan, the easier it will be to bring it up to temp. Not only initially, but each time you refill. I can easily evaporate a gallon a day off the stove without listening to the fan on the humidifier run.

I'm not sure about cold air leaking into the house being the source of dryness. Here it is often more humid outside than in.

Reactions: Osage and Rhodie