Rock Maple . . . what is it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic99

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2006
MA, Suburb of Lowell
Last week, a neighbor had a tree cut down. After asking nicely, he let me take it. Told me it was "rock maple". I've been having trouble locating info on this tree. Anyone know if it has another common name, or even better, its latin name? . . . . I suspect it is sugar maple. Reminds me of sugar maple when I split it.

It was cut in Massachusetts and was at least 80 years old.

As moondoggy said, it's just another name for hard (sugar) maple.

YUP, SUGAR MAPLE..WHICH, IS THE ONLY MAPLE THAT IS ACTUALLY "HARDWOOD"

Adirondackwoodburner said:
YUP, SUGAR MAPLE..WHICH, IS THE ONLY MAPLE THAT IS ACTUALLY "HARDWOOD"

WHAT ABOUT BLACK MAPLE?

I am under the impression that Rock Maple is sugar maple that is grown in areas where the growing season is short....like New england.
Mike

It was (still splitting it) challenging to split . . . . except that when the temps dropped last week, it was easier to break through the wood with my maul.

Good to know its a high BTU value . . . I suspected as such, but I'm new to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.