Room to room fan location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jim and Sue

Feb 19, 2015
Northern Mi
My house is cut up and my Rangeley isn’t centrally located. I was thinking of installing a room to room fan to get the air moving. My question is , Do I blow at the stove or draw away from the stove? The fan location is going to be in the wall of the stairs common to the back of the house. Thank you

My house is cut up and my Rangeley isn’t centrally located. I was thinking of installing a room to room fan to get the air moving. My question is , Do I blow at the stove or draw away from the stove? The fan location is going to be in the wall of the stairs common to the back of the house. Thank you

I would guess you want to blow away from stove which will in effect draw cold air to the stove. Hot air is rising off the stove and blowing away from it would be working with the thermal current. Cold air would be drawn to stove as you remove the warm air. Blowing cold air toward stove would be working against the flow and in my mind be like “peeing into the wind” [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blow cooler air, down low, toward the stove. Cool air is denser, the fan will move more air. This method also helps moderate the stove room temp so that it doesn't get uncomfortable.

Moving cool air is the way to go because:
  • It's more dense (approx 3.5% increase in density from 86F to 68F)
  • It's significantly more stable than the hot air coming off the stove - this means less effort trying to move it
    • Hot air coming off the stove is turbulent - it's more prone to do what it wants
  • You have the stove wanting to pull the cool air towards it as well, both around the stove and for combustion
  • You'll easily set up convection currents to move the hot air - the hot air will respond better to this

The natural tendency is for warm air to exit the stove room at the ceiling and travel to distant rooms at that level, and for cool air to exit distant rooms low along the floor traveling back to the stove at that level. If there is a fan on the first floor, point it toward the stove.

For a two story home, warm air traveling from the stove along the first floor ceiling will enter the stairwell and immediatly reach the second floor ceiling - and cool air pooling along the second floor will immediatly going down the stairs to the floor on the first - and to the stove.
A fan on the second floor, point it toward the stairwell.

Whenever this is necessary for me, I have had the best luck in figuring out how the cool air is moving around in the house, and then giving it a boost. For my basement stove, there is a vent at the bottom of the stairway going upstairs. Cool air naturally falls through there when the basement stove is in operation. So I have a fan from an air conditioner pointed down to give that air a boost.

I apply this principal with AC as well. My tv room gets hot, and the window AC unit is in the next room (too loud to be in the same room). A fan in the room with the AC's doorway blowing into the TV room cools it down rather quickly.