Rope Puller Recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have a board that I made with sample knots attached from when I was 11. But when it comes to applying it all, on the spot, letting something important depend on it - only a very few get used.

Reactions: kennyp2339
I have a board that I made with sample knots attached from when I was 11. But when it comes to applying it all, on the spot, letting something important depend on it - only a very few get used.
Same here, especially when wear gloves lol, back when I was on a 270 cutter we had to tow a boat that has massive engine failure, we had the time and an excellent salty chief on the deck who went to town on this rig that could pull down the empire state building, but 8 swings of a axe would break the rig clean away from the cutter if trouble ensued, I also learned how to effectively use block and tackle with clinch wraps to hold weight in place, I really wish I paid better attention back then, but you know the drill if you dont use it, you loose it.

but you know the drill if you dont use it, you loose it.
Out the hole, around the tree, back in the hole again. That much I can remember.
Double figure 8 is very similar. That much I can remember.
Timber hitch for pulling logs. Just a couple loops cinched over the end of the log. That much I can remember.
Very easy to tie, can be done without looking, some of the first that people learn (beyond tying my shoes), very strong. If I need to think about it, there's a chance it's wrong.
Other than that, the rest fall out of memory pretty quickly.

I have the bowline knot drilled into my head as its one of the few that work reliably on plastic rope. I never did get the one handed around the waist trick down. I also use the doubled up bowline on rarer occasions when I need two loops.

I found this a refresher ..

Reactions: kennyp2339