round size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
What is the largest round you guys put in a stove?

I just dropped a huge really dead elm today, and you all know how much I like splitting elm. >:-( So I'm highly motivated to burn it in the largest rounds possible. So far it looks lie 8" is about the largest that will be practical, but I'm willing to go bigger.

if i have a good enough coal bed, then i can fit as large as the stove will handle. My firebox isnt the largest. But the key is to have a lot of ash in the bottem with a coal bed at least 8 hours old.

I'd probably save a jewel like that for the last stoking of the evening...let her burn all night long. But as far as physical size limit...
just what ever the stove will take. I think mine would be about 10" before it hits the top of the firebox (assuming there was a couple inches of coals on the floor)

Corey

o.k. Two 8+ inchers cooking away. Good grief, that was just way too easy, Cut today, no splitting, nice dry, hard non-punkey elm, burst into flame in about 20 seconds, and given experience with elm, a sweet over night burn with two peices of wood. I may even start liking elm.

Do logs usually burn better when spilt? Or is it oky to put whole logs in. That seems awhole lot easier.

They always seem to burn better when split. I can't figure why. I think it's a surface area thing. but I took a couple of these peices of elm that were more like 14" or bigger and split them. These large split peices burn much better, although the rounds do seem to work very nice for overnight. In the morning, lots of very hard and cherry red coals still cooking away.

I have lots more to go pickup where I cut the wood. I'm sort of a happy camper. Roughly 2 cords of this stuff in total at the guys house. He's a family friend, the trees are way away from the house, and at the very top of a steep hill, so when I cut the peices, I can roll them down the hill almost half way to my van. The only downside of all this is that it's elm and hard to split. Oh well, me, a brew and my maul will just have to go outside and engage in a little stress relief for a couple weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.