Running gas and wood through chimney.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

awfarmington

Sep 3, 2014
ohio
Just had chimney guy out for an estimate to run a liner for our wood stove but now I have even more questions since his visit.

Can an aluminum liner (for water heater) share a chimney with a ss liner for our wood stove? That's what we currently have. He said the heat from the ss liner get's too hot from a wood stove and wood damage the aluminum liner next to it.

Are the liners I can buy at Home Depot truly junk as he is telling me? I asked for an estimate on his cost to install a liner WE buy, just paying for his labor. He said he feels strongly that they are junk and will not install them. The ones he uses can withstand just about anything and last for years and have a warranty. His words, I have no opinion on either.

He said by code he would have to install one ss liner for gas hot water and another ss liner for the stove. BUT he is willing to do a cash only job, installing one liner for both. I knew already that by code, they each need their own and but wasn't sure why. He said the only reason is in case chimney liner gets blocked from lack of cleaning, the gas hot water heater would no longer be vented. But with proper maintenance, that isn't a problem.

You will probably get a lot of input from the forum members. I'll be the first to say do not install one liner for both, do not use someone who offers to do something dangerous and illegal for cash off the books. More later

2 separate liners, insulate the wood liner and it will be fine

i have no idea what they sell at hm depot, have any info, make model specs etc?

Look at the cost of a new water heater. Maybe something on demand. No chimney required, may save on energy costs and you save the cost of the liner. If those two uninsulated liners were touching, and you had a ripping chimney fire in the wood flue, that alum liner would be of no use.

Status
Not open for further replies.