Q&A Russian Fireplace - burning oil in it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

We have a russian Fireplace in your 1906 Farmhouse its dimensions are 4'in width 9' feet in depth and 14' in hieght. It works pretty well but the problem with such a mass it take three days of straight burning in it to put off enough heat to heat our house in the winter.and then it needs to burn about 6 hours a day filling it on the hr. The wife and I work long hours away from the house now and it is our only sorce of heat. Besides electric baseboards. I have heard you can take the insides out of a Oil burning furnace and put it in the fire box of the Russian fire place I have heard that it does work well but I have not found anything or anyone thats has done this. Do you know the pro or cons of this or someone or a book that may help.

Answer:

Larry...I have not ever heard of this...yet it may be possible. On e problem might be if it cools the oil flue gases too much, this creates some acids that could eat away at the masonry.

There is a Masonry Heater Org on the Net....I think the link can be found at https://www.hearth.com/what/links.html

They should know more.

Link: HearthNet Links Page

Status
Not open for further replies.