Rust appearing on newly installed stove - how to prevent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dBrad

Mar 14, 2017
SC
We are building a new house and well, it's taking forever. Long story short, we had a Quadrafire 7100 installed a couple of months ago and are just now getting the last of the exterior doors on (windows and roof have been in for awhile).

The back door by the 7100 is one of the last doors about to be installed, so this winter when we've had foggy days that moisture has just rolled right into the room and I'm starting to see some surface rust on portions of the 7100 - mainly the doors.

What's the best way to remove that rust and prevent any future rust? My first thought was to just take something thin like WD-40 or mineral oil, soak a rag with it, and wipe the stove down. But then I figured better ask the experts first. Ideas?

Is this a painted, plated or raw metal surface? If metal or cast use fine steel wool to remove the rust and if necessary wire brush for the tough spots. Then wipe down with a very thin coat of vegetable or mineral oil. If painted, I would hold off until the door is up and then repaint with Stove Brite paint. Ifyou oil coat it now you will just have to remove it later. Don't use WD-40. If plated, Quad says oil will stain it.

Last edited:
Reactions: kennyp2339
I'm fairly sure it's painted cast iron. The stove came with a can of paint - I was just not expecting to need to use it before the first fire!

Why was it installed so early? We don’t install until there’s at least doors and windows.

Windows were already in and most doors were too. The delivery guy broke one of the large transoms that go above the back door and it had to be ordered. For some reason they decided to wait until they had the replacement to finish installing that set of doors. Not my preference for sure.

Windows were already in and most doors were too. The delivery guy broke one of the large transoms that go above the back door and it had to be ordered. For some reason they decided to wait until they had the replacement to finish installing that set of doors. Not my preference for sure.
Don’t worry about the rust. Any reputable dealer/installer comes back after the home is complete to finish it up. Put the bricks in it, louvers, door overlays etc.. and repaint any finishes that need it.

Ours already has all that stuff on it - doors, bricks, and they left me with the can of paint. Guess I'll use the mineral oil trick for now and then repaint what needs it when we move in. Thanks all.

Maybe wait on repainting until the fireplace has been run for a few times at a good hot temp. That will help bake in the paint and burn off the oil. Otherwise it'll need a very thorough removal of the mineral oil in order to repaint.

Reactions: dBrad
I would wipe it with WD40, but mineral oil will also work. Unless the issue is really bad once it is fired and your house is sealed you may not notice it. A white scotch brite with wd40 as a lubricant will knock back the rust with minimal paint damage. Don't over scrub or you will be painting it. It will smoke on initial start up, no big deal a few days after.

Thanks - both good suggestions. I do plan to begin breaking it in with small fires this weekend before we get sheetrock up, so I'll wait and see how it looks after break in. Thanks again.

I’m confused ... use vegetable oil where? Inside the storage, back do the stove , front where there is cast iron?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m confused ... use vegetable oil where? Inside the storage, back do the stove , front where there is cast iron?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wiped my entire stove with canola oil after I removed the rust with wire wheel brushes. Then just left it on until I started burning, and it was fine, no smoke to speak of or anything. Rust is gone, stove is black, all is good. Like seasoning a cast iron skillet.

Just get a paper towel or rag, pour some canola oil on it, wipe down rusty spots, after a few minutes, wipe off excess. Then grab yourself a beer and relax and don't sweat it.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I would wipe it with WD40, but mineral oil will also work. Unless the issue is really bad once it is fired and your house is sealed you may not notice it. A white scotch brite with wd40 as a lubricant will knock back the rust with minimal paint damage. Don't over scrub or you will be painting it. It will smoke on initial start up, no big deal a few days after.
WD40 stinks, so I wouldn't use it in a house. Mineral oil has virtually no smell.

LOL Eau de machine shop.

Guess you live alone?

No. Wife and kids never complained. They dont care much for PB Blaster or gas either...

It's one of them smells you squirt some on your hands for a split second and it smells like you been busting ass all day.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
No. Wife and kids never complained. They dont care much for PB Blaster or gas either...

It's one of them smells you squirt some on your hands for a split second and it smells like you been busting ass all day.
I know what you mean, but when I've been "busting ass" all day, I wouldn't say it smells like wd40.