Rust Control for front of insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoGoodAtScreenNames

Feeling the Heat
Sep 16, 2015
Massachusetts
Hi everyone,

I'm kind of new to all this - entering my second burn season. I had an Enviro Boston 1700 installed last year. I have the plain cast iron finish on it. That might not be the right way to describe it. It's a slightly scratchy finish with little specs of iron in when you look closely. I love the way it looks and want to keep it that way for as long as possible.

Here's a link to some pictures.

http://enviro.com/products/catalogue/product/?prod=1700C-FPI

After one year, there are a few really small lines of rust here and there. Nothing anyone other than me would notice at this point. My question is how to prevent or fix any rusty areas as they develop. Everything I've read about rust control like sanding and spraying with high temp paint doesn't seem appropriate for my finish. Any ideas? I think I might just let it go for a few years until it gets real bad and then I'd have to just paint the whole thing. Anything I can do to prevent rust in the first place?

Thanks.

Good question. I am amazed at the amount of surface rust I have with my Accentra insert. I wire brushed, sprayed with PAM, blocked off the chimney and used Damp Rid...still rust. I have a cast and steel lined Jotul woodstove and NEVER had this issue. I am thinking quality of material.

Your Boston is a combination of steel box construction with cast iron cladding on the outside. Protecting it is easy- take some 0000 steel wool to any rust and just touch up area with flat black spray or brush on high temp paint. It'll retain its aesthetics. BTW, nice choice, I burn its sister stove, the full steel bodied Kodiak. Great stoves for the money.

Your Boston is a combination of steel box construction with cast iron cladding on the outside. Protecting it is easy- take some 0000 steel wool to any rust and just touch up area with flat black spray or brush on high temp paint. It'll retain its aesthetics. BTW, nice choice, I burn its sister stove, the full steel bodied Kodiak. Great stoves for the money.
i agree but it is probably either flat or satin metallic black

Have you checked with dealer or Enviro to see if you can get touch-up paint directly from them? I searched their site but they didn't have your model listed.

Guys- I am an Enviro dealer, have installed Enviros for years, it is flat black they use. One could use Satin black if they want a bit of glow, but its not necessary.

Knew you were a stove dealer, didn't realize you handled Enviros though (should have guessed with the Enviro list in your signature!) ;lol;lol

Reactions: stovelark
LG- thank you- re-read my earlier reply and seemed to me it came off being a bit haughty, apologize for that- not meant to be. Yeah I do like Enviro, wood and pellet stoves, good units for the money spent. Take care.

Thanks everyone. I have an area under the steamer where it's most noticeable - at least when you lift it up. It is a nice area for me to experiment with. I assumed matching the color would be more complicated - like matching touch up paint for a car. I'd love to buy the paint directly from Enviro but they don't really have any way to order from them or even call or email that I could find. Wanted to get some opinions from random strangers on the internet before going to the local stove shop knowing nothing.

Are there any recommendations on a paint brand or are they all about the same? If "black" means black and there's not much variation between stove brands and models then that simplifies things.

Thanks again.

I'm wondering could a person use steel wool and than spray on some rust convertor or inhibitor and than paint over it the same way they stop rust on cars?

Haven't heard about using rust inhibitors and because the cast is heated, don't know if the heat would cause a reaction to anything other than the high temp paint designed to paint stoves.
Nogood- no problem. If a stove is used for a while, normally the flat paint finish kinda dulls out or gets a shade of gray. You don't really notice it till you see a new stove or touch up your own. In most cases, if its just touching up you need to do, you can blend into the surrounding paint with the touching up. If you want, you can also give a fresh coat to the whole stove. Remember tho if you do, you'll have to endure the paint curing again like when the stove was new, that curing smell bothers some people...
Paint types, Rutland, Stove Bright, many different brands, but most will match each other pretty good. It won't hurt anything to experiment with them. Paint her up, she'll look like new.

I have the same stove. I contacted enviro right after we had ours installed, because we had some scrapes on the mantel piece. They sent us a spray can of "Stove Bright" ...color is 6309 metallic black. I had tried touching it up with flat black first. But, it definitely wasn't the same color.

I just did a quick search.....this is a link to the same product. To give you an idea of what the can looks like that I have.

http://www.hechlers.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1531

Haven- Thanks for the info. I've always thought it was plain flat black. That's what we use to paint one up, but if its coming from Enviro, will note that. Thanks.

Reactions: Haven
NoGood- You're welcome, the Boston is one of my favorite stoves. Its nice looking and is a great heater. I'm going back and forth to replace my 1700 Kodiak with a Boston 1700. Got to replace my EF3 pellet stove with a Meridian cast stove first, wife's request.... Take care and stay warm.

Hi everyone,

I'm kind of new to all this - entering my second burn season. I had an Enviro Boston 1700 installed last year. I have the plain cast iron finish on it. That might not be the right way to describe it. It's a slightly scratchy finish with little specs of iron in when you look closely. I love the way it looks and want to keep it that way for as long as possible.

Here's a link to some pictures.

http://enviro.com/products/catalogue/product/?prod=1700C-FPI

After one year, there are a few really small lines of rust here and there. Nothing anyone other than me would notice at this point. My question is how to prevent or fix any rusty areas as they develop. Everything I've read about rust control like sanding and spraying with high temp paint doesn't seem appropriate for my finish. Any ideas? I think I might just let it go for a few years until it gets real bad and then I'd have to just paint the whole thing. Anything I can do to prevent rust in the first place?

Thanks.

Is there a block off plate installed to help,keep moisture from the masonry fireplace from getting behind it? Some folks also stuff insulation in the exhaust pipe during the summer to help stop moisture from back drafting down the chimney.

Is there a block off plate installed to help,keep moisture from the masonry fireplace from getting behind it? Some folks also stuff insulation in the exhaust pipe during the summer to help stop moisture from back drafting down the chimney.

The firebox is definitely more rusty than the exterior. I have a poor man's block off plate that I added after the installation without detaching the liner with a few layers of Roxul up to the old damper. Hadn't thought about blocking the liner up for the summer. I'll try that next year.

I think my exterior rust is mainly due to the steamer. The rust is mostly under that and right below the glass where probably water spilled a couple of times - again from the damn steamer. I'm not a big fan of that thing but my wife likes it so it's part of the deal of getting an insert.

again from the damn steamer.
Wish I could use a "damn steamer" with the pellet stove ==c By the time we get through a month or so of heating, I have to start running the humidifier and never quite catch up. Humidity should be 30% - 50% with 30 being the norm for winter ... I struggle to keep it in the low 20s.

I spray wd40 onto a microfiber and wipe down the front of the stove. I just try to buff it in. Mine is flat black on cast iron. Its kept the rust at bay, just touch up as needed. No, it doesn't stink up the house

I spray wd40 onto a microfiber and wipe down the front of the stove. I just try to buff it in. Mine is flat black on cast iron. Its kept the rust at bay, just touch up as needed. No, it doesn't stink up the house
I've been known to use olive oil...lol. Once even used coconut oil. I figure if it's good enough for my cast iron pans, it must be fine for a cast iron stove.

I've been known to use olive oil...lol. Once even used coconut oil. I figure if it's good enough for my cast iron pans, it must be fine for a cast iron stove.

I actually tried the olive oil tonight. Looks like new! Rust either rubbed away or darkened to blend in. I'm a little skeptical about how long that will last after firing it up but it looks good now.

Haven btw that's an awesome setup you have in your profile pic. It looks like the Wayne Manor!

I actually tried the olive oil tonight. Looks like new! Rust either rubbed away or darkened to blend in. I'm a little skeptical about how long that will last after firing it up but it looks good now.

Haven btw that's an awesome setup you have in your profile pic. It looks like the Wayne Manor!
Glad it worked for you! And thanks for the compliment. I never get sick of looking at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.