Rust inside Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

New2PelletStoves

Apr 6, 2012
So,

I have a Hampton GC60 Pellet stove that I purchased new last March and used for about a month until the spring warmed up. After using it for the last time I cleaned it out and filled the pellet hopper.

It is in my downstairs living area which experiences about 45 % humidity at most.

I never really looked at the stove again throughout the summer until today. I gave the stove a general once over to ensure it was ready for the coming season and I found the entire interior fire box are was covered with a thin scale of rust. The side walls, the burn pot, everything.

What's the deal ? Anyone know? Should I have capped off or somehow sealed off the exhaust pipe? I am guessing the moisture creaped in through the exhaust pipe over the summer.

Has anyone else dealt with this and is this something I should be concerned with. Also is this norm and what should I do to prevent it in the future ? Should I be looking at anything in the stove that could be damaged as a result of the moisture ?

Also, should I clean off the scale of rust and if so how would you recommend it ? Wire brush etc. ? Thank you VERY much in advance for any advice etc.

Keith C New Gloucester, Maine

In the off season you'll want to leave the hopper empty. I also keep a container of baking soda in the area of the burn pot to absorb moisture. The living area may be 45% humidity, but the outside air will flow in from the vent pipe.

Ok. Thanks for the reply. I wondered about the pellets in the hopper. I fired up the stove tonight and they definitely seemed to burn like crap. The baking soda idea sounds like a good one. Should I cap off the exhaust pipe somehow in the off season to keep the warm air from flowing in ?

Pellets are absorbing moisture. They can and will bind up inside the auger.

A little Pam cooking spray can go a long ways at the end of season. Clean after the last fire, then spray with Pam, Cap Exhaust if possible, and finally a moisture absorber inside the hopper and/or firebox will help tremendously.

Pellets are absorbing moisture. They can and will bind up inside the auger.

A little Pam cooking spray can go a long ways at the end of season. Clean after the last fire, then spray with Pam, Cap Exhaust if possible, and finally a moisture absorber inside the hopper and/or firebox will help tremendously.

Thank you for the reply. I will be applying all the techniques above. Very helpful thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.