Rust on the quadrafire cast iron

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Grader07

Jan 14, 2017
Maryland
I own a Mt Vernon AE pellet stove that has now been in place for a third season. This year there is rust that has formed on the cast iron back plate that the flames touch and was from brand new a white color. It is the piece that you can see thru the glass that has the Quadra fire emblem on it. Any thoughts or ideas how to remove the rust?

I own a Mt Vernon AE pellet stove that has now been in place for a third season. This year there is rust that has formed on the cast iron back plate that the flames touch and was from brand new a white color. It is the piece that you can see thru the glass that has the Quadra fire emblem on it. Any thoughts or ideas how to remove the rust?
Hi
I use either a wire wheel on my drill driver or an abrasion blaster with black diamond (coal slag) using my compressor.

Reactions: kappel15
And to prevent it in the future, I would stuff a rag in end of exhaust pipe, at end of season, and put a pc. of masking tape across wall control saying so, to remind you in the fall. At end of season I take my baffle out and clean it. Then I spray paint it to help prevent rust and also so it looks nice during the off season. kap

Reactions: Grader07
And to prevent it in the future, I would stuff a rag in end of exhaust pipe, at end of season, and put a pc. of masking tape across wall control saying so, to remind you in the fall. At end of season I take my baffle out and clean it. Then I spray paint it to help prevent rust and also so it looks nice during the off season. kap
also helps to put a container or 2 of damp rid in the fall.
you can see the water it accumulated in 6 months.
this was 1 in the burnpot and 1 below in the ashpan.

Attachments

• 20181004_120808.jpg
    20181004_120808.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 66