Safe to burn while gone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie wood stove user here, ive been doing tons of reading and seeing alot of recomendations of not burning while your at work or gone? i live by myself and am often only home at night. How much danger is there of a flue fire? and is once a year enough to clean the pipe? ive been reading you need a $169.00 cleaning after each cord of wood? maybe im not saving any money?

Lotsa if's. If your chimney is clean, if your stove is functioning properly (ie no gasket leaks, cracks, etc.), your flue is up to snuff and your wood is truly seasoned then it's ok.

When you start out it takes some time to "build a history" on your stove/chimney. You need to get to the point where you can say, without a doubt, that "i've been burning for X months" and know there is little to no creosote buildup without going top side. That just takes time burning and observing....either you have to inspect your chimney or someone else has to.

I don't know your situation nor your chimney configuration but if YOU can get up there and clean it you'll save money and you'll know what it looks like if/when there is buildup versus hearing somebody else's description.

If you do not know the current chimney conditions then either determine that yourself or have someone do it prior to leaving it unattended.

I burn when I am gone. I grew up with wood heat, so perhaps I am just more comfortable with it. At some point, if you are heating mainly with wood, you're going to end up having to walk away from it while it is burning. Can you fully eliminate the chances of a flue fire? No, even if you stayed home 24/7, you could have one, and it could still get away from you. Just something we have to accept if we're going to heat with wood.

Here's what I would recommend:
1.) learn your particular stove and its burn patterns so that you are 100% comfortable with it
2.) inspect your system every month or two during your first season so you know what kind of buildup to expect
3.) have a sweep come out for the first cleaning and learn all that you can so YOU can clean in the future
4.) burn good, dry wood to cut down on buildup

Ok is creosote gonna build up closer to the topside or down near the stove inside the house? My chimney is double wall class A and is 10" tall.

Constrictor said:
Newbie wood stove user here, ive been doing tons of reading and seeing alot of recomendations of not burning while your at work or gone? i live by myself and am often only home at night. How much danger is there of a flue fire? and is once a year enough to clean the pipe? ive been reading you need a $169.00 cleaning after each cord of wood? maybe im not saving any money?

If we did not burn when nobody was home, our water pipes would be freezing! The wood heat is and has been for year, our only source of heat. So, we keep it going 24 hours per day for 6 months of the year.

How much danger? Well, I've burned wood most of my life (I'm retired) and have never had a flue fire. I've been around others who have burned too and know very few who have had one. I've witnessed only one in my lifetime.

As for the creosote problem, you should have very little if your wood is good and well seasoned. If it is not well seasoned, you will have a big problem.

As for the cleaning. Certainly not after every cord of wood. That would be a waste of time and money. One year when we burned some not too well seasoned wood we cleaned our chimney 3 times during the winter and thought that was a lot. Now we clean it once per year....or did. Last year we did not clean it as there was nothing to clean.

Also, you should be able to clean your own chimney and save a bunch of dollars. Then you know exactly what you have.

And yes, most of the creosote will be at the top....usually.

Just noticed your chimney is only 10'. That is not enough chimney! Usually 13' is about minimum.

Backwoods Savage said:
Just noticed your chimney is only 10'. That is not enough chimney! Usually 13' is about minimum.

Actually i meant the double wall part above the ceiling is 10'. there is another 5' from the stove to the ceiling, i was forgetting about that. The single wall pipe inside the house gets very hot and i would assume there would not be a creasote problem in the lower section of the pipe.

If your stove is installed according to code you should be OK, assuming your burning right and using dry wood. But I would be more concerned about sleeping while burning with an improper installation.

Can you get on your roof to check your chimney? Is your installation up to code? Give us a description of your flue/stove setup and pics would help too. There's a wealth of knowledge here all you need to do is ask and these guys will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.