Safe to line chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Snowden

Nov 14, 2018
South Park Pa
I’m new here. I hope that I’m posting in the right area and someone might have some two cents to offer.

The question in about lining a chimney in our old 1890-something home.

Is there a chance our chimney could still be lined even though we were told otherwise a couple years ago?

The chimney company inspected it and wrote up an invoice for $2300 and scheduled it the next day. When the installers arrived, they now said they couldn’t line it.

So we’ve been using a power vent for the furnace since, and it’s a terribly annoying system and smells.

We got a new oil furnace last month and he connected it to the power vent but it’s getting fumes in the house. I just want the chimney lined so we don’t need this power vent.

Without seeing our chimney, have you ever heard of one company saying a chimney can’t be lined and then another guy/company lining it anyway?

Thanks in advance for any opinion or thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m new here. I hope that I’m posting in the right area and someone might have some two cents to offer.

The question in about lining a chimney in our old 1890-something home.

Is there a chance our chimney could still be lined even though we were told otherwise a couple years ago?

The chimney company inspected it and wrote up an invoice for $2300 and scheduled it the next day. When the installers arrived, they now said they couldn’t line it.

So we’ve been using a power vent for the furnace since, and it’s a terribly annoying system and smells.

We got a new oil furnace last month and he connected it to the power vent but it’s getting fumes in the house.

I just want the chimney lined so we don’t need this power vent.

Without seeing our chimney, have you ever heard of one company saying a chimney can’t be lined and then another guy/company lining it anyway?

Thanks in advance for any opinion or thoughts.
Yes we have put liners in chimneys that others said couldnt be lined. But we have also seen plenty of chimneys that couldnt be lined. And have even had a couple we thought we could get a liner in but could not

Yes we have put liners in chimneys that others said couldnt be lined. But we have also seen plenty of chimneys that couldnt be lined. And have even had a couple we thought we could get a liner in but could not
I thought it could possibly still be done. I just wonder though if they said it couldn’t be lined, is that because they didn’t think they could maneuver the liner down the chimney or that they were not wanting to be liable for it. When they inspected the chimney and gave an estimate for the lining, they said basically the whole house could collapse and the liner would be fine.

Is it really that simple? Is it basically if one can get the liner in and in place, it should be fine? Because it does need to be safe.

I thought it could possibly still be done. I just wonder though if they said it couldn’t be lined, is that because they didn’t think they could maneuver the liner down the chimney or that they were not wanting to be liable for it. When they inspected the chimney and gave an estimate for the lining, they said basically the whole house could collapse and the liner would be fine.

Is it really that simple? Is it basically if one can get the liner in and in place, it should be fine? Because it does need to be safe.
I really am not following your question. Yes it absolutly needs to be safe. If you have a masonry chimney that is structurally sound has the required 4" nominal masonry walls that is large enough to fit a properly sized liner through then it should be fine. But that is not always the case.

I guess I’m not making much sense because I don’t know anything about the topic. I just want the chimney lined. I suppose if the chimney needed work, that could be done too but I just need another inspection for a second opinion. We can’t tear the house apart to rebuild a chimney so it can be lined. Thanks a lot for reading and replying...

I guess I’m not making much sense because I don’t know anything about the topic. I just want the chimney lined. I suppose if the chimney needed work, that could be done too but I just need another inspection for a second opinion. We can’t tear the house apart to rebuild a chimney so it can be lined. Thanks a lot for reading and replying...
Sometimes the house does need to be torn apart to rebuild. And if the chimney isnt big enough there isnt allot that can be done short of building a new chimney. That new chimney could be a stainless prefab chimney though which would be cheaper and less disruptive than building a masonry one.

Sometimes the house does need to be torn apart to rebuild. And if the chimney isnt big enough there isnt allot that can be done short of building a new chimney. That new chimney could be a stainless prefab chimney though which would be cheaper and less disruptive than building a masonry one.

Ok thanks

7CFC8BFB-6F3A-4CD9-993D-70C20F3FFBC5.jpeg D79BBBB4-C415-4099-BFC0-9AAE32DECD42.jpeg

Attachments

• 42011EC8-1341-479B-8E4E-594487E1C305.jpeg
    42011EC8-1341-479B-8E4E-594487E1C305.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 285
  • 3700A284-1DB0-47B2-A417-C503749D654C.jpeg
    3700A284-1DB0-47B2-A417-C503749D654C.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 283
  • DB2AD6AA-E143-45A2-8130-C3C381A85380.jpeg
    DB2AD6AA-E143-45A2-8130-C3C381A85380.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 296
  • C06BEA1E-6CEE-43E8-9605-9F7E659F609F.jpeg
    C06BEA1E-6CEE-43E8-9605-9F7E659F609F.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 295
Last edited by a moderator:
I got on the roof to look at the chimney. I has three separate flue paths. It was too dark to see down the whole way. The top bricks are falling apart and the rusted top has a metal top which blew off but I still have. Maybe the chimney company saw the bricks and felt the top needed fixed, or maybe they didn’t like the inside. I know they did some cleaning now 3 years ago, and afterwards were prepared to line it. Idk. I wonder if I were to have the outside bricks re-laid if it would be able to be lined with a stainless steel liner?

IMHO, the top of chimney that sticks out of the roof is beyond repointing. It needs to be knocked down and replaced. If the bricks are in good shape they may be able to salvage some and reuse them. The tear down will go down below the roofing so you need to rework the roofing and the flashing. Obviously you are not going to end up with three flues. Hopefully the chimney is solid below the roof. If its not you may not have a choice.

I wonder if the bricks below the roof are loose as I’m sure they are, can you still put a liner down. I would think that the liner would almost support the bricks from falling out. I don’t know anything about this though.