Sailboat floats way above water (americas cup)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
Pretty cool photo!
Copyright+Joette+Wangsgard+Photography-2.jpg

Reactions: hobbyheater
That's almost not floating. More like flying!

Yeah, it's very cool. If Larry Ellison's fascinated by spending millions on developing a really fast sailboat, fine. It's his money. But to set those rules for the Americas Cup is rather arrogant and exclusionary, IMO. How many teams can raise $80M - $100M to develop & enter a boat? Few. I think he really hosed it up,and I'm rooting for him to lose so someone else (with less hubris, I hope) can write the specs for the next competition.

Hydrofoils are awesome! Must be an awesome rush racing it!

I long for the beauty of a twelve meter. becalmed off Newport. this is todays America's cup? what a difference.

Here I am at the wheel, at the grinder - and a pic of 'COURAGEOUS" to keep you happy!

ac3.jpg ac2.jpg ac1.jpg

Yeah, it's very cool. If Larry Ellison's fascinated by spending millions on developing a really fast sailboat, fine. It's his money. But to set those rules for the Americas Cup is rather arrogant and exclusionary, IMO. How many teams can raise $80M - $100M to develop & enter a boat? Few. I think he really hosed it up,and I'm rooting for him to lose so someone else (with less hubris, I hope) can write the specs for the next competition.

Yeah, the whole AC thing is of little interest because of his hubris.....

But when it comes to foils, these are for the little guy too! I saw one of these sailing around my boat the other day. I think this might be a good new hobby for you!

Oh, I'm down with hydrofoils. Back in about 1978 I hitched a ride across Puget Sound & back on USS Pegasus (PHM 1).

Here's an identical ship of the class:

phm.jpg

Looks a bit heavy for my mailsail to lift up...

;lol GE LM2500 gas turbine engine driving a humongous water jet. ~18,000 hp.

Back in time, chariots were the leading sport in racing and for some it is still!:mad:
Today formula one stock cars have taken over the lead in interest ;) and in a lot of cases, money rules.:p
These boys are just taking it to the next level!!!!
As a sailor I love to see both!:)
Great pictures!==c

Last edited:
I like to see the boat pushing the limits...I'd just like to see an Americas Cup where more teams had an opportunity to enter the competition. I, too, am a sailor.

When the opposite gunwale's playing peek-a-boo with the water I know I'm sailing.

Webbie, you have a melges? I sail in the Detroit fleet. And yes Bora kicks my ass regularly...

About 12 years ago, there was a 30' Corsair in the Van Isle 360 that got the nick name Flip, Flop And Fly. It entered 3 races but finished all them floating upside down!
None the less I would have loved to crew on Her!

About 12 years ago there was a 30' Corsair in the Van Isle 360 , that got the nick name Flip Flop And Fly , it entered 3 races but finished all them floating upside down!

Yeah, they are not blue water boats! When you hit the 10+ foot swells and waves, you want a couple tons of lead hanging 6 feet below the boat!

Actually, many tris and cats have crossed the oceans, but not me!

Status
Not open for further replies.