Samsung GS5 problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

infinitymike

Minister of Fire
Aug 23, 2011
Long Island, NY
I recently switched from an iphone 4s to the Samsung Galaxy S5.
Basically for the camera and the screen size.

On the iphone , I used to be able to simply upload any existing or new photos right to my posts.
Now with GS5, they are to big.
The iphone has a 8 megapixel camera and the GS5 has a 16.

Is there a way to resize a pic taken on the 16 mp setting with out having to upload it to photo bucket or image shack

I believe it may be a server limitation. Try it again I made a quick change.

Last edited:
That doesn't work. I click on upload a file than choose file. I'm given the option of camera, video cam, voice record and documents.
I click on camera and take a picture.
It says save and I click that but than nothing happens.
So I click choose file again and click documents.
Then click gallery and choose the same picture and still nothing.

I will the same but drop the settings to 12mp.
Nope, now it says unable to perform Operation due to low memory.

Screen shot

Screenshot_2014-05-11-12-06-42.png

Changed setting to 9 mp

1399824637433.jpg

This works but the reason for the S5 was for the better quality pics

Screenshot_2014-05-11-12-13-45.png

Yep, use an app or editor.
http://www.appbrain.com/app/reduce-photo-size/com.shoozhoo.imageresizer

The pics WILL still be better quality, even after downsizing. That's because they sample the original.

The reasoning for more pixels is often being able to crop and then downsize and still have a good pic.

Example - the pic below was taken hi-res, but both of these are well downsized.
Notice the close up (crop) - if I took that pic with lower-res camera, we'd never see as much detail in the close up cropped part of it (both are the same pic).
samplefull.jpg samplecrop.jpg

We who look at the pics with really slow DSL connections appreciate small.

Wow just looked at the details of one of the pics I tried to upload....8.3mb
That's a big file.

So here it is with that app

image.jpg

Now it's only 301kb

Yeah, and that's big enough for just about anything!

Way back in "my day" we tried to make images under 50K. Since most folks were connected at about 25K bits per second (phone modems), that meant an image would download in a reasonable amount of time. 30 seconds for a web page with an image would be consider speedy.

Even today, we (web guys) try to make ad banners under 30K and also shave size off of all graphic elements like page headings. It makes a big difference in the speed of a site.

Status
Not open for further replies.