Sandy Chestnut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Cut up some chestnut in my yard. More Sandy spoils. Splits like butter. Anyone know how it burns?

Attachments

• chestnut wood.jpg
    chestnut wood.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 93
I sure hope its a horse or chinese chestnut.......if you are lucky enough to have an American chestnut, you need to make lumber out of it.......it's nearly extinct! As far as BTU's, Chinese and horse chestnut is kinda between soft maple and ash, if I'm not mistaken. Definitely worth having in the stacks either way!

Yup could be Ohio Buckeye,also called horsechestnut. Just dont eat those seeds. ;)

Reactions: ScotO
Pretty sure its chinese chestnut

Reactions: ScotO
Any nut wood is good;)

I had a pretty big one that I feed to my old my old pre EPA stove. It was just ok, but I didn't know enough back then to let it dry out for season. It was a huge dead standing tree, but looking back I suspect the interior good have better if I had left it on the stack a year first. I was only hand splitting then, and I do recall how it split nicely with only a maul.

Status
Not open for further replies.