Sassafras more than root beer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LAndrim

Jan 1, 2011
Outside of Philly
Hi everyone, I have 2 large sassafras trees that are pretty much dead-- need to cut them down, and I'm thinking might make good wood to split and use in my wood stoves. From what I've read on line, it's not the best wood for heat value. Anyone have any experience with sassafras? Thanks much guys and gals

Reactions: patrickk222
No its not the best btu firewood...but it will indeed burn and make good shoulder season wood...if I put a saw to its getting burned either by its self or mixed...I also burn less than ideal stuff on the weekends when I am home to conserve my good stuff.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I'd like to try it some time. Around here it has the reputation of being a chimney cleaner -- burns real hot. It is not real highly rated in BTUs.

It sure is nice smelling to cut! So-so at best for heat, easy splitting, and light. Mine seemed to pop and toss sparks a good bit if that matters to you. It can be used to make some nice kitchen utensils.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I like it. Burned half a face cord this season. Goes a bit fast, but nice and hot. Good for burning down coals or helping light up a load that won't light easily.

Thanks to everyone for their input. Based on all your recommendations, I'll give it a try! Unfortunately, I'm in eastern PA and today the temp will be in the 70's! Thanks again everyone

from what ive always been told is that when dry burns kinda like paper and splits pretty easy to id figure that prob lasts a little longer than poplar

Yes, splits the easiest from any and all wood I've ever split. In my 2.9 cu ft fire box I get overnight burns of 12-15 hrs if I run it (cat stove) low. Not too shabby for a light wood.

Last edited:
Reactions: patrickk222
Yes, splits the easiest from any and all wood I've ever split. In my 2.9 cu ft fire box I get overnight burns of 12-15 hrs if I run it (car stove) low. Not too shabby for a light wood.

Oooooh a car stove that sounds fun. What model did you choose?

;lol

;lol

D*mn autocorrect... (or big fingers...?)
And there I am trying to avoid mentioning the model lest @Caw accuses me of being a fanboy - but then he is asking for it....

But the point is that when the stove allows good control, one can burn it slow and then the duration of the fire/load is only dependent on the weight out in the box, not the wood species.

Splits easy, dries fast. Good wood in my book.

Reactions: Caw
The wood is also extremely rot resistant and long straight branches are excellent for laying as runners under a woodstack.
In case you don't already know, homemade sassafras extracts are carcinogenic, commercial products have the carcinogen removed.

TE

It sure is nice smelling to cut! So-so at best for heat, easy splitting, and light. Mine seemed to pop and toss sparks a good bit if that matters to you. It can be used to make some nice kitchen utensils.
Yep, it is some "poppy" stuff! That makes me a bit hesitant to burn it in my cat stove; I imagine the pops will stir up ash dust and plug my cat screen/cat sooner..

;lol
Possibly a Firenza...or maybe a Spitfire? ;)
The wood is also extremely rot resistant and long straight branches are excellent for laying as runners under a woodstack.
In case you don't already know, homemade sassafras extracts are carcinogenic, commercial products have the carcinogen removed.

TE
Yep. I put three dead Sass logs under pallets a few years back, and they still seems to be holding up even though they've been pressed down into the ground a bit. I recently got another idea, soon to be revealed here in the Wood Shed, once I get it set up and can get pics. ==c

Yep, it is some "poppy" stuff! That makes me a bit hesitant to burn it in my cat stove; I imagine the pops will stir up ash dust and plug my cat screen/cat sooner..

I burned a face cord of sassafras last season. No fly ash on my cat. Nights were in low but days were burned faster.

I burned a face cord of sassafras last season. No fly ash on my cat. Nights were in low but days were burned faster.
Did you hear it popping quite a bit, or no? If not, maybe that has something to do with with the location, soil type, or who knows what..?

Reactions: stoveliker
Did you hear it popping quite a bit, or no? If not, maybe that has something to do with with the location, soil type, or who knows what..?

A bit, but it's not nearly as bad as pine. (Which burns fine here too.)

Very easy to split and makes outstanding kindling!
Use as kindling hadn't occurred to me, but I'll definitely be trying that. Even woods like Tulip, or even Pine, as kindling sometimes don't take off as fast as I would like..